Old 22-07-2009, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Squash

I have some summer squash planted. These things look like the plant from
the Little Shop of Horrors. BIG honking leaves and tendrils. Anyway, there
is one squash on there, and it is approaching 14" in length. It is very
light green, kind of whitish. How can I tell if it is ripe and ready for
plucking so I don't take it too early and waste it? IIRC, it was a banana
squash, but some of these things I planted look nothing like the little
plastic ID card that came with them. This squash is not gourd shaped, but
rather looks like an elongated football. Can post a picture if that will
help.

Steve

Old 22-07-2009, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB said:

I have some summer squash planted. These things look like the plant from
the Little Shop of Horrors. BIG honking leaves and tendrils. Anyway, there
is one squash on there, and it is approaching 14" in length. It is very
light green, kind of whitish. How can I tell if it is ripe and ready for
plucking so I don't take it too early and waste it? IIRC, it was a banana
squash, but some of these things I planted look nothing like the little
plastic ID card that came with them. This squash is not gourd shaped, but
rather looks like an elongated football. Can post a picture if that will
help.

If it really is a summer squash, you want to pick it anytime between the
blossom coming off and it reaching eight inches in lenght.

But banana squashes are winter squash, which need to be left on the
vine until mature -- months yet, for a larger type like banana squash.

Maybe a picture would help.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-07-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

SteveB said:

[...]

I'll second Pat's observations.
Banana Squash: 105 - 120 days to harvest.
Varieties:
Banana Most often sold variety. 10 to 30 pounds
Blue Banana (H/OP) An attractive heirloom with resistance to
squash bugs. 25-30 lbs.
http://gardening.about.com/od/winter...-Varieties/Ban
ana-Squash.htm

See if any pictures at this site are similar.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/squash.htm
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Old 22-07-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Butternut Squash Natalie United Kingdom 30 17-05-2003 10:44 AM
Squash growing Jayne Edible Gardening 6 10-05-2003 06:32 PM
Maclura pomifera (osage orange) dispersal (was squash dispersal) David Hershey Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM
squash dispersal Monique Reed Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM