Old 25-07-2009, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening Tool

What ferterlizer works best? I would like to know my other gardeners
think. Please post here your answer.

Thanks

Smile Champ

Check out my great group on a gardening tool
http://groups.google.com/group/mr-sifter
Old 25-07-2009, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Smile Champ wrote:
What ferterlizer works best? I would like to know my other gardeners
think. Please post here your answer.

The type(s) that suit(s) the needs of your plants that is/are readily
available and cheap. It is a mistake to think there is a single answer to
this question. Part of the art of gardening is learning that one size does
not fit all.

David

Old 25-07-2009, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/24/2009 5:48 PM, Smile Champ wrote:
What ferterlizer works best? I would like to know my other gardeners
think. Please post here your answer.

As Hare-Scott indicates (but expressed more simply), different plants
require different fertilizers.

Some examples:

I sometimes feed my roses, citrus, and gardenia with ammonium sulfate.
I can't use this acid fertilizer on my iris, primroses, or dianthus
because these require an alkaline soil. While azaleas and camellias do
like an acid soil, I can't use high-nitrogen, fast-acting ammonium
sulfate on those because they want a low-nitrogen, slow-acting fertilizer.

For most of my beds, I use a hardware store's house brand of lawn food.
This does not have enough iron or zinc for my gardenia and citrus and
is still too strong for azaleas and camellias.

My camellias and azaleas get a commercial camellia and azalea fertilizer.

Because my orchids are planted in bark chips and not soil, I have to be
sure fertilizer does not burn their roots, which are effectively
exposed. I dissolve a commercial orchid food in water and use it as a
drench.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 25-07-2009, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Smile Champ wrote:
What ferterlizer works best? I would like to know my other gardeners
think. Please post here your answer.

The type(s) that suit(s) the needs of your plants that is/are readily
available and cheap. It is a mistake to think there is a single answer to
this question. Part of the art of gardening is learning that one size does
not fit all.

David

Yeah, what David said. Every plant is a prima donna with its own needs
and wants (minimums and maximums). Then you have the soil biota, who
make healthy soil for a given biome. Biomes aren't the same, soils
aren't the same, and they have different needs and wants as well. If you
tell us what plant you want to grow, we will have a better chance of
coming up with an answer.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 25-07-2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:48:21 -0700 (PDT), Smile Champ
wrote:

What ferterlizer works best? I would like to know my other gardeners
think. Please post here your answer.

Thanks

Smile Champ

Check out my great group on a gardening tool
http://groups.google.com/group/mr-sifter

Works best for what, when and where?

Old 25-07-2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
What ferterlizer works best? I would like to know my other gardeners
think. Please post here your answer.

Thanks

Smile Champ

Check out my great group on a gardening tool
http://groups.google.com/group/mr-sifter

Works best for what, when and where?

Thank you!

Check out my group
http://groups.google.com/group/mr-sifter

[IMG] code is On

Niwashi gardening tool [email protected] United Kingdom 8 22-03-2014 11:11 AM
Niwashi gardening tool [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-03-2014 05:07 AM
Gardening Tool Smile Champ Gardening 3 04-08-2009 12:38 PM
Handy dandy gardening tool. joevan[_2_] Garden Photos 3 20-09-2007 01:15 AM
AD: Handy tool for tightening/maintaining Grape vine trellis wires, fences, etc - Jake's Wire Tight C&C Fencing Supply Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2003 01:43 AM