Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese beetles on basil

Is it legal for them to attack my basil? This is ridiculous. Last year it
was the pole beans. Today, the basil. Don't give me any of that BS about
picking them off by hand. There are hundreds of them. Other than Ortho,
anyone have a cool solution?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Is it legal for them to attack my basil? This is ridiculous. Last year it
was the pole beans. Today, the basil. Don't give me any of that BS about
picking them off by hand. There are hundreds of them. Other than Ortho,
anyone have a cool solution?

http://awaytogarden.com/japanese-beetle-juice

Wonder if they are edible.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...anese+beetles+
recipes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Milky Milky Milky

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Is it legal for them to attack my basil? This is ridiculous. Last year it
was the pole beans. Today, the basil. Don't give me any of that BS about
picking them off by hand. There are hundreds of them. Other than Ortho,
anyone have a cool solution?

How much basil... for a couple three plants draping with fine netting for a
few days until the bugs cycle is over will work.... buy a package of
woodworkers tack cloth (looks like cheese cloth) from Lowe's for like $6.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

we went to farm fleet store bought 2 traps ($4.95) which were yellow
plastic flanges with a dark green hourglass shaped garbage bag hanging
from the yellow plastic-stick a little package of included bait on the
yellow plastic just above where the bags hook on. totally gross they
swarmed the bags so dont hang them in public area but by the end of the
day the bottom of the bags were bulging with thousands of them and the
next day we didnt have any more around. advice on the net is dont do
this unless the entire neighborhood does or you will atrract everyones
to your yard but i think we were the only ones and 2 bags took care of
it. i think they are in colonies rather than evenly spread across the
lands.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

ps we tried a regular fly trap first-caught flies but no beetles :-)