Old 14-08-2009, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Luffa (sponge) gourd - lacking female flowers

I've planted some luffa gourds next to my back porch. Over the past few
weeks, they have really taken off - some of them growing close to a foot a
day.

I have noticed some female flowers and small fruit as the vines grow, but
then when I look for them later, I don't seem to find them. Today I found a
few, still rather tiny looking, and mostly yellow, slightly wrinkled. I
think this is what happens when they "abort". I've never seen a single
female fruit actually flower to this point.

There are PLENTY of yellow male flowers. In fact, these plants seem to be
producing an amazing amount of male flowers - extremely prolific. However,
I didn't grow these for a flower display - I'm actually wanting the gourds,
so that I can have some luffa sponges later this year.

Do most of the female flowers only show up later in the season, or is
something going on here that shouldn't be?

Old 15-08-2009, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

Hopefully, you can flag down Glenna, she grew some last year.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm