Old 21-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Luffa Gourd

In article ,
Mel wrote:
Has anyone grown a loufa gourd? Does it really produce a loufa? Any
advice?

Not this side of the equator! I believe that you can get it to crop,
lightly, if you treat it well and keep it in a very sunny spot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mel" wrote in message
Has anyone grown a loufa gourd? Does it really produce a loufa? Any
advice?

They grow them every year in the Waterlilly House at Kew. Lots of Loufas
hanging down whenever I've taken a look during the late summer/autumn.
Must like it hot and steamy with plenty of light 'cause that's what it's
like in there, so I wonder if you would be able to provide suitable
conditions. Mind you, it's always worth a try, let us know how you get on.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
364 data units completed.

Old 22-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Mel

Thomson & Morgan sell the seeds, and they say to grow them like a cucumber
(I've never grown cucumber either). If loufas only grow in hot, steamy
places why the heck do Thomson & Morgan sell the seeds here in the UK (other
than just to get money from unsuspecting nitwits like me)!

Regards

"Mel" wrote in message
Has anyone grown a loufa gourd? Does it really produce a loufa? Any
advice?

Thanks,

Old 22-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Janice

Loufas or luffas as they are usually called over here (USA) are like
most gourds, they like heat, but they will grow anywhere they get a
reasonable amount of sun, put some plastic down to heat the ground in
the spring to get the soil warm, start them inside, and transplant
them into the then warmed ground. ;-)

I'm in South western Idaho USA where it's dry rather that hot and
steamy. It was unusually hot last summer (100+F for weeks last year),
but otherwise it gets up into the high 90s F in June and July and up
into the 100s F for a time after that as high temps some summers it
doesn't even break 100s F. I grew Luffas up the clothesline posts and
let them grow on the then unused clotheslines. I was rather amused
when I heard some folks eat them when they're young as I went out and
looked at them one day to see how they were growing, and sniffed one
and to me the smell reminded me of ...... Toads! I used to catch them
when I was young and I guess the smell memory was strong ;-)

They're interesting to grow, and when dried you just peel the skin off
the fibrous interior and shake the seeds out of it. I think they must
wash or bleach the fibers to make them so bright and white for store
sales though. ;-)

Janice

Old 22-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mel" contains these words:

Has anyone grown a loufa gourd? Does it really produce a loufa? Any
advice?

Yes. I grew several from seeds left in the luffa, but they didn't come
to much. They need a really hot greenhouse.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Mel
writes
Thomson & Morgan sell the seeds, and they say to grow them like a cucumber
(I've never grown cucumber either). If loufas only grow in hot, steamy
places why the heck do Thomson & Morgan sell the seeds here in the UK (other
than just to get money from unsuspecting nitwits like me)!

I think you've answered it!

Always take seed merchants' claims with a hefty pinch of salt.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janice
writes
Loufas or luffas as they are usually called over here (USA) are like
most gourds, they like heat, but they will grow anywhere they get a
reasonable amount of sun, put some plastic down to heat the ground in
the spring to get the soil warm, start them inside, and transplant
them into the then warmed ground. ;-)

That will not work in the UK. You won't have a hope unless you grow
them in a greenhouse.

I'm in South western Idaho USA where it's dry rather that hot and
steamy. It was unusually hot last summer (100+F for weeks last year),
but otherwise it gets up into the high 90s F in June and July and up
into the 100s F for a time after that as high temps some summers it
doesn't even break 100s F.

Last year's record-breaking summer hit 100 for one day in one small part
of the UK. Anything over 80 is hot for us.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:13:22 -0700, Janice
wrote:

Loufas or luffas as they are usually called over here (USA) are like
most gourds, they like heat, but they will grow anywhere they get a
reasonable amount of sun, put some plastic down to heat the ground in
the spring to get the soil warm, start them inside, and transplant
them into the then warmed ground. ;-)

snip

What she said. Except that I call them loofahs. I have grown them in
SE Virginia, which has a long, hot (ave max temperature 89F - 32C in
late July), humid growing season. They are tropical. I expect Thompson
& Morgan sell the seeds because so many of you in cooler climates grow
hot-weather plants in greenhouses.

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/archive/eve...01/ptypes.html

Old 22-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Last year's record-breaking summer hit 100 for one day in one small part
of the UK. Anything over 80 is hot for us.

Did that include South Norfolk? It hit a hundred in my garden one day,
but the figure isn't official.

Old 23-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Bob Hobden

Bob wrote in message after

"Mel" wrote in message
Has anyone grown a loufa gourd? Does it really produce a loufa? Any
advice?

They grow them every year in the Waterlilly House at Kew. Lots of Loufas
hanging down whenever I've taken a look during the late summer/autumn.
Must like it hot and steamy with plenty of light 'cause that's what it's
like in there, so I wonder if you would be able to provide suitable
conditions. Mind you, it's always worth a try, let us know how you get on.

Found this little bit about the Waterlily house....

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/collections/wlily.html