Old 31-08-2009, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to grow-Fall-Winter-Los Angeles, CA

I am curious what vegetables others in LA Couunty will be planting for
Fall and Winter season? My zipcode is 91402, Panorama City, Calif.
Never snows here and weather is pretty mild except for frosts

Thanks, Dave_s
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/index.html
Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bud wrote:
Dave_s wrote:
I am curious what vegetables others in LA Couunty will be planting for
Fall and Winter season? My zipcode is 91402, Panorama City, Calif.
Never snows here and weather is pretty mild except for frosts

Thanks, Dave_s

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/index.html

Bud,
Ok, from your link, I now know my home is in hardiness zone 10A, 30F to
35F, lowest temperatures.

It would still help to know what folks in Southern California, near Los
Angles, are growing this soon to be fall and winter season.

Thank you, Dave_s

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

Dave_s wrote:

Bud,
Ok, from your link, I now know my home is in hardiness zone 10A, 30F to
35F, lowest temperatures.

It would still help to know what folks in Southern California, near Los
Angles, are growing this soon to be fall and winter season.

Thank you, Dave_s

Well, since winter will be upon your area late, I'd grow plants that like
the cool weather and not the hot. Do a search on your favorite data base
site and look for cool weather planting. I'd be thinking of things I'd grow,
spinach, cabbage, peas, mibuna (great tasting with mild taste of cabbage and
can be replanted through out the cool season) etc. Take a look and choose
what you like to eat.
--
Bud

Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 4, 9:59*am, Bud wrote:
*Dave_s wrote:

Bud,
Ok, from your link, I now know my home is in hardiness zone 10A, 30F to
35F, lowest temperatures.

It would still help to know what folks in Southern California, near Los
Angles, *are growing this *soon to be fall and winter season.

Thank you, Dave_s

Well, since winter will be upon your area late, I'd grow plants that like
the cool weather and not the hot. Do a search on your favorite data base
site and look for cool weather planting. I'd be thinking of things I'd grow,
spinach, cabbage, peas, mibuna (great tasting with mild taste of cabbage and
can be replanted through out the cool season) etc. Take a look and choose
what you like to eat.
--
Bud

Amen to those, plus this is the ideal time to plant the leafy veggies
-- all
kinds of lettuce, radicchio, etc. Last year I planted stir-fry mix .

I have tried broccoli, but without success; never got those big heads.
Beets didn't work out last year, but I'm going to try again; no reason
why
they shouldn't do well. I got a good crop of kale a few years ago,
but
somehow didn't get around to eating it (my bad).

I'm constantly planting green onions and carrots to make sure
I never run out. Green onions are annoyingly slow to sprout,
but...patience! Radishes, OTOH, sprout before you can turn around!
Don't let them get too big and woody.

As Bud says, there is a huge number of cool season vegs that do
well in So. Calif. I'm in Santa Monica, near the beach, so seasons
are more equable than in the Valley; not too hot, not too cold.
Never frost here, so watch out for that w arning when you
research plants. You can always cover your little darlings
when the weather news says frost possible.

Good luck; happy eating.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/31/2009 6:36 AM, Dave_s wrote:
I am curious what vegetables others in LA Couunty will be planting for
Fall and Winter season? My zipcode is 91402, Panorama City, Calif.
Never snows here and weather is pretty mild except for frosts

Thanks, Dave_s

For your area (and mine), winter is the time to plant salad greens, cole
vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc), and snow peas (Chinese
pea pods). Actually, get seeds into the ground in October or seedlings
by mid-November. You want them started and growing before the first
frost.

As soon as they are available as bare-root plants (likely in January),
plant asparagus and artichoke. You won't get anything from these
perennials in their first year or two, but then you will harvest them
for years to come. In the meantime, they make nice ornamentals if
planted in the right place. In my garden, asparagus is a spring and
summer background behind my peach tree and low-growing perennials and
bulbs. My artichoke is an accent plant in my back lawn from now until
the summer heat knocks it down in July or early August. I harvest
asparagus spears and artichoke buds in the spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Los Angeles Gardeners veej Gardening 0 10-10-2003 08:42 PM
Plants for Northern Los Angeles [email protected] Gardening 0 08-08-2003 07:03 PM
los angeles nurseries Allan Gardening 7 26-06-2003 10:44 PM
anyone know where to purchase java moss in Los Angeles area? TIA Richie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
Tomatoes Zone 9 So. Cal, Los Angeles HPBudlong Edible Gardening 3 15-02-2003 03:03 PM