GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/187191-tree-has-reddish-golf-balls-somethings-appearing-what-they.html)

T2B 19-09-2009 04:41 PM

Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They?

On Sep 19, 9:58*am, "dwight" wrote:
"Dee" wrote in message

om...

enigma wrote in news:Xns9C86AD00DD0EBenigmaevilnet@
199.125.85.9:

Dee wrote in
.com:

Phisherman wrote in
:
Looks like Dogwood fruit, each about the size of a pea, not
1-1.5" in diameter.

According to Wikipedia, the fruit is 2-3 cm in diameter though
can be up to 4 cm.

*the description of the fruit sounds like dogwood (& those are
edible, BTW), but would you describe the leaves as "pointy"?
lee

I wouldn't, no. *But I could see how someone who didn't know much about
plants might do so. *A simple leaf with a point on the end might be
described as pointy *:-) *But I guess if the OP doesn't post back with
a response or a photo we may never know for sure.

Dee

Reading this thread, I thought I'd snap some photos of my own pointy-leaved
tree with red golf balls:http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/daily/daily.htm

The golf balls do not appear annually, which may be why it comes as a
surprise to the OP, and mine are between 1/2" to an 1". They also mostly
appear only on the side of the tree exposed to sunlight.

dwight- Hide quoted text -

Nice photos Dwight. Cornus kousa.

enigma 19-09-2009 06:21 PM

Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They ?

"dwight" wrote in
:

Reading this thread, I thought I'd snap some photos of my own
pointy-leaved tree with red golf balls:
http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/daily/daily.htm

The golf balls do not appear annually, which may be why it comes
as a surprise to the OP, and mine are between 1/2" to an 1".
They also mostly appear only on the side of the tree exposed to
sunlight.

dogwood (cornus kousa). those fruits are edible. the outer 'shells'
are a bit crunchy which contrasts with the custardy insides.
we had a bumper crop last year, but the fruits are quite sparse this
year. they tend to bear heavily on alternate years, but this spring
was cold and very wet here, so there was a shortage of bugs to
pollinate as well.
the trees appreciate sun, & fruit better if they get a lot of sun.
the one next to my driveway always has more fruit than the ones in
the semishade in the backyard.
i have to fight both the chickens & the dogs to get any of the
fruit... i discovered my cattledog will climb trees to get cornus
kousa fruit last year.
lee

Dee 20-09-2009 02:25 PM

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
enigma wrote in
news:Xns9C86AD00DD0EBenigmaevilnet@ 199.125.85.9:

Dee wrote in
om:

Phisherman wrote in
:
[...]

Thanks for posting your photos, dwight. I enjoyed perusing through
them.

Dee

lannerman 20-09-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee (Post 864888)
"dwight" wrote in
:

"Dee" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Folks, Most intrigued by your discussion, from where I am in Cornwall UK. I would also opt for Cornus but the variety I would go for is capitata.
Regards Lanerman.

T2B 21-09-2009 06:12 AM

Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They?

On Sep 20, 5:04*pm, lannerman
wrote:
Dee;864888 Wrote:

"dwight" wrote in
:
-

. com...-

http://tinyurl.com/nhhxu8

--
lannerman- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it could be Cornus capitata since one of its common names is
"Himalaya strawberry-tree."