Old 14-09-2009, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They ?

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there since, and
looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for the first
time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward rather than
inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 14-09-2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Robert11" wrote:

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there since, and
looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for the first
time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward rather than
inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Would help a lot to know what type of tree and a photo would help
immeasurably... sounds like it could be "galls", but could also be the
tree's natural fruit/seed, however odd to fruit this time of year in
the northeast
Old 14-09-2009, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there since, and
looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for the first
time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward rather than
inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks,
Bob

The first thing that came to mind was American Sweetgum (Liquidambar
styraciflua). It has five-pointed leaves that almost resemble a star as
drawn by a child. The fruit is golf-ball sized but has spikes rather than
simple protrusions but what you are seeing might, I suppose, be early-stage
fruits before the spikes fully develop. Does it look anything like this?

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gewa/Sweetgum.jpg

In theory this tree isn't native as far north as Boston but there is no
telling what someone might have planted in a yard. There are also some
other varieties of sweetgum that might qualify but I don't have any
experience with them.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 14-09-2009, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there
since, and looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for
the first time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward
rather than inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks,
Bob

First thing that comes to mind is Cornus kousa.

Dee
Old 14-09-2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
T2B T2B is offline

On Sep 14, 10:06*am, Dee wrote:
"Robert11" wrote :

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there
since, and looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for
the first time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward
rather than inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks,
Bob

First thing that comes to mind is Cornus kousa.

Dee- Hide quoted text -

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ousa_fruit.jpg

I second your nomination. All in favor ???

Old 14-09-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT), T2B
wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:06*am, Dee wrote:

[...]

Looks like Dogwood fruit, each about the size of a pea, not 1-1.5" in
diameter.
Old 14-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert11[_2_] View Post
Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there since, and
looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for the first
time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward rather than
inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks,
Bob

Try Arbutus unedo [The strawberry tree].
Old 14-09-2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT), T2B
wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:06*am, Dee wrote:
"Robert11" wrote
:

[...]

According to Wikipedia, the fruit is 2-3 cm in diameter though can be
up to 4 cm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_kousa

Dee

Old 14-09-2009, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dee wrote in
om:

Phisherman wrote in
:
Looks like Dogwood fruit, each about the size of a pea, not
1-1.5" in diameter.

According to Wikipedia, the fruit is 2-3 cm in diameter though
can be up to 4 cm.

the description of the fruit sounds like dogwood (& those are
edible, BTW), but would you describe the leaves as "pointy"?
lee
Old 15-09-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

beccabunga wrote:
'Robert11[_2_ Wrote:
;864396']Hi,

[...]

Unlikely - the tree is growing in Boston - Arbutus unedo is zone 8 - 10
I'm voting with the others for Cornus kousa. I used to see them all over
the place on Long Island which has similar growing conditions. Too cold
for them where I live now pout

--
Sylvia

Old 15-09-2009, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

T2B wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:06 am, Dee wrote:
"Robert11" wrote :

[...]

I saw something very much like this a day ago. Growing in poor soil
on a slope leading into a lake in 7a (N Georgia). Sprawling, perhaps
wider than tall. The fruit looked to be no bigger than am inch at most.

Jeff

I second your nomination. All in favor ???

Old 15-09-2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

enigma wrote in news:Xns9C86AD00DD0EBenigmaevilnet@
199.125.85.9:

Dee wrote in
om:

Phisherman wrote in
:
Looks like Dogwood fruit, each about the size of a pea, not
1-1.5" in diameter.

According to Wikipedia, the fruit is 2-3 cm in diameter though
can be up to 4 cm.

the description of the fruit sounds like dogwood (& those are
edible, BTW), but would you describe the leaves as "pointy"?
lee

I wouldn't, no. But I could see how someone who didn't know much about
plants might do so. A simple leaf with a point on the end might be
described as pointy :-) But I guess if the OP doesn't post back with
a response or a photo we may never know for sure.

Dee
Old 16-09-2009, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
Phisherman wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT), T2B
wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:06 am, Dee wrote:
"Robert11" wrote
:

[...]

Or maybe 'Litchi Chinensis'?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sis_fruits.JPG

Jon

Old 16-09-2009, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:53:33 -0400, "Zeppo" wrote:

"Dee" wrote in message
. com...
Phisherman wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT), T2B
wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:06 am, Dee wrote:
"Robert11" wrote
:

[...]

Litchi is sub tropical, I seriously doubt it will grow in the Boston
area.

http://www.lycheesonline.com/lycheedescription.cfm

Until the OP posts a photo of the tree and growths described all
anyone can offer is wild speculation. There are galls that also match
the description and are likely to occur on trees that grow in the
Boston growing zone.
http://stockindexonline.com/index.ph...=keywordsearch

Old 19-09-2009, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Reading this thread, I thought I'd snap some photos of my own pointy-leaved
tree with red golf balls:
http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/daily/daily.htm

The golf balls do not appear annually, which may be why it comes as a
surprise to the OP, and mine are between 1/2" to an 1". They also mostly
appear only on the side of the tree exposed to sunlight.

dwight