Old 29-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered User

Smile planting palms

Hi,I wonder if theres any one out there who can help me?
I,ve just brought 3 mature palms,1 is a dwarf palm which will be left in a pot, the other 2 ,which are a 5ft cabbage palm,and a 5ft canarian date palm are in pots at the moment,but i would like to plant them outside
My question is would it be ok to plant them out now or to wait until next spring after any danger of frost has passed
My garden is south facing and quite sheltered,i also live on the south coast of the uk.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 29-09-2009, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default planting palms

On 9/29/2009 12:37 PM, dacs10 wrote:
Hi,I wonder if theres any one out there who can help me?
I,ve just brought 3 mature palms,1 is a dwarf palm which will be left
in a pot, the other 2 ,which are a 5ft cabbage palm,and a 5ft canarian
date palm are in pots at the moment,but i would like to plant them
outside
My question is would it be ok to plant them out now or to wait until
next spring after any danger of frost has passed
My garden is south facing and quite sheltered,i also live on the south
coast of the uk.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I would wait until about a month before the expected end of frost. By
the time tender new growth starts, all frost would likely be past.

Does anyone else in your neighborhood grow these palms?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms John B. Australia 3 28-03-2003 12:56 AM
Palms Plant Biology 0 27-03-2003 12:20 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM