Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning Blueberry Bushes

I have two spindly Blueberry Bushes and wondered if I cut them back
considerably if they would bear more fruit. If so, when would be th
best time to do so?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 06:44:26 -0700 (PDT), Connecticut
wrote:

I have two spindly Blueberry Bushes and wondered if I cut them back
considerably if they would bear more fruit. If so, when would be th
best time to do so?

What month do your bushes bloom? Some bushes bloom on last year's
growth, so if that is the case you will get less fruit.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I have two spindly Blueberry Bushes and wondered if I cut them back
considerably if they would bear more fruit. If so, when would be th
best time to do so?

What month do your bushes bloom? �Some bushes bloom on last year's
growth, so if that is the case you will get less fruit.

My bushes bloomin late June and early July.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 3, 9:44*am, Connecticut wrote:
I have two spindly Blueberry Bushes and wondered if I cut them back
considerably if they would bear more fruit. If so, when would be th
best time to do so?

Remove any branches that are peeling bark as they are beyond 5 years
in age, cut them as close to the ground as you can.
This will stimulate the production of new wood which will bear heavily
from year 2-5.
Do your pruning in March.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Connecticut wrote:
I have two spindly Blueberry Bushes and wondered if I cut them back
considerably if they would bear more fruit. If so, when would be th
best time to do so?

There are many reasons why blueberries are not productive. Mainly
they need a suitable polinator... with just two bushes of unknown type
they may not be suitable for polinating each other. Also blueberries
are very slow growing long lived plants, so don't expect much for at
least ten years. You also need to maintain a properly acidified
nutritive soil. Actually pruning is the least important aspect of
blueberry growing affecting production... trim away dead wood anytime
after berry production ceases. And of course you need to protect your
berries from preditors, if not you will get no berries.... crows will
land on the new tender top growth and break it off with their weight,
your plants will never grow... I keep large tomato cages over mine
with netting draped over. I have a dozen plants, three each of four
different varieties that fruit early, mid, and late season... I
harvest about a cup a day during the summer. I suggest planting more
bushes to increase your crop.

[IMG] code is On

Phish's blueberry bushes Beecrofter Gardening 2 23-08-2003 01:22 PM
Protecting blueberry bushes from birds B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 12 09-07-2003 07:52 PM
Blueberry bushes Annaid Gardening 3 12-05-2003 07:20 PM
Wanted: Blueberry bushes McFadden57 Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:32 PM
Blueberry bushes for Upstate NY? Beecrofter Gardening 0 22-02-2003 05:39 AM