Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Farms

There are three black walnut trees in the yard. When I look thru my
tree books I always read how black walnut wood is in high demand.

I was wondering, how hard is it to create and run a tree farm with trees
like black walnut or even Christmas trees?

Just wondering. It seems like easy money to me but I know nothing about
three farms.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:43:54 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

There are three black walnut trees in the yard. When I look thru my
tree books I always read how black walnut wood is in high demand.

I was wondering, how hard is it to create and run a tree farm with trees
like black walnut or even Christmas trees?

Just wondering. It seems like easy money to me but I know nothing about
three farms.

Big difference in growing black walnut and x-mas trees but neither is
easy money, both require a humongous amount of labor. Black walnuts
you plant now very likely won't grow to marketable size in your
lifetime. The property I live on was planted in Norway spruce and
white fir some 50 years ago in the hopes of making an easy buck.
Fergeddaboudit... the last owner spent most of his adult life tending
to those trees and finally gave up, after all that labor there wasn't
much market for a few years here and there yet the trees kept growing,
they outgrew their usefulness as x-mas trees before there was a
demand... so now I have a lovely mixed forest. I have plenty of trees
of all sizes but I don't cut any, instead I buy my x-mas tree for $20
from Lowes... I haven't the heart to cut any of the loveliest ones
that would make a nice holiday tree. In fact whenever I see a
seedling pop up in one of my beds I move it to where it will thrive,
just moved two tiny seedlings two days ago from under a muhgo pine to
a hedgerow. I suggest you search the net, there are lots of web sites
that explain in great detail how to farm black walnut, x-mas trees,
and many others... I strongly suggest you educate yourself instead of
making fatal mistakes.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...k-Walnuts.aspx
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

There are three black walnut trees in the yard. When I look thru my
tree books I always read how black walnut wood is in high demand.

I was wondering, how hard is it to create and run a tree farm with trees
like black walnut or even Christmas trees?

Just wondering. It seems like easy money to me but I know nothing about
three farms.

If you have the land, it is very easy if you have the patience. As a
woodworker cherry is currently in vogue, but maybe that will likely
change in 15-20 years to maple or oak. Most loggers do not like to
harvest wood located on residential properties (metal parts ruin
expensive sawmill blades).
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I need to find a good book on tree farming. Something like tree farming
for dummies. I really need a good book on book on how trees work first,
their biology or whatever you call it.