Old 14-12-2009, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default 1. Companion planting 2. drowned seeds

1. I goofed by planting rows of green onion seed between rows of
already emerged spinach. My companion planting chart (viewed after
the fact sob) shows that onions are incompatible w/spinach.
Looking for your opinion/experience in similar situations. Will
spinach be badly affected?

2. This is So. Calif coastal. We have FINALLY had several nice rains
(yay!!!!) soft, not brutal, but I wonder if they might have drowned
seeds, since I don't plant too deep. Any experience out there?
Old 14-12-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 14, 12:36*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
1. *I goofed by planting rows of green onion seed between rows of
already emerged spinach. *My companion planting chart (viewed after
the fact sob) shows that onions are incompatible w/spinach.
Looking for your opinion/experience in similar situations. * Will
spinach be badly affected?

2. *This is So. Calif coastal. *We have FINALLY had several nice rains
(yay!!!!) soft, not brutal, but I wonder if they might have drowned
seeds, *since I don't plant too deep. *Any experience out there?

I'd take most companion planting advice with a large grain of salt :-)
The jury is still out on how pertinent or reliable that info
is.......it is somewhat akin to planting by the phases of the moon.
Some folks swear by it but there is no real scientific evidence to
support the bulk of the premise.

However, if you look at common companion planting charts, while
combining onions and spinach is not suggested, it is also not
discouraged. In other words they are not recommended companions but
neither are they incompatible.

Most seeds are not planted very deeply. Drowning is not usually a
concern - washing away can be. If your recent rains were not gully-
washers, then your seeds should be fine and will have appreciated that
moisture.
Old 15-12-2009, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

gardengal wrote:
On Dec 14, 12:36 am, Higgs Boson wrote:
1. I goofed by planting rows of green onion seed between rows of
already emerged spinach. My companion planting chart (viewed after
the fact sob) shows that onions are incompatible w/spinach.
Looking for your opinion/experience in similar situations. Will
spinach be badly affected?

2. This is So. Calif coastal. We have FINALLY had several nice rains
(yay!!!!) soft, not brutal, but I wonder if they might have drowned
seeds, since I don't plant too deep. Any experience out there?

I'd take most companion planting advice with a large grain of salt :-)
The jury is still out on how pertinent or reliable that info
is.......it is somewhat akin to planting by the phases of the moon.
Some folks swear by it but there is no real scientific evidence to
support the bulk of the premise.

I am inclined to agree. The proponents take the idea of allelopathy and
extend it to way beyond the bounds that are supported by the available
evidence. Don't get me started on moonplanting.

David

[IMG] code is On

Drowned Herbs??? Doug Kanter Gardening 1 14-09-2004 01:57 PM
[IBC] companion planting HALLOWEEN ISSUE Lynn Boyd Bonsai 0 01-11-2003 12:22 AM
Studies on companion planting David Hare-Scott sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 12:23 PM
Looking for a Companion Planting Reference guide Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
NOT companion planting Julie Gardening 1 04-04-2003 05:08 AM