Old 31-01-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default lean-to greenhouse or cold frame kit?

I am in a situation where we are buying a new house. It is currently
undergoing roughly $23k in repairs under the FHA 203k rehab loan
program. After they are done, we will move in, probably about the end
of February.

It will begin warming up soon after, so of course I find myself
thinking of what I want garden-wise, if I want to plant some fruit
trees, that sort of thing.

I've always wanted a small lean-to greenhouse, and I've realized that
something like that might be a possibility with this place. The house
is oriented in the long direction north-south, but has a garage on the
south end, with no trees and plenty of light. Space would be tight,
though, because the south edge of the house/garage is only about 12'
from the property line. I'm not sure if I could even put anything
permanent in there large enough to walk around in, but I'm open to
suggestions.

At the very least, I would like to lengthen my gardening season. If
a lean-to greenhouse turns out not to be an option, then I'd like to
mess around with a cold frame there. I've never built a cold frame
before, but I have worked with them at an arboretum.

Can anybody point me to some lean-to greenhouse kits or cold frame
kits that could help me get something along these lines done in a quick
fashion? Thanks!

Old 31-01-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Ohioguy
wrote:

[...]

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/solar-gh.html

Look at the resources link.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 31-01-2010, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:56:57 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

I am in a situation where we are buying a new house. It is currently
undergoing roughly $23k in repairs under the FHA 203k rehab loan
program. After they are done, we will move in, probably about the end
of February.

If it needs $23,000.00 in repairs it is NOT a new house.

[...]

You should check with your Town to find out what the set back code
restrictions are, I doubt you will be permitted to erect any permanent
structure within 12' of your property line (and I can promise your
neighbors will turn you in), and often municipalities will reassess
your property taxes for any additions; an attached greenhouse
constitutes an all season permanent addition (you may be much better
off with a stand alone greenhouse - many people incorporate a
greenhouse with a shed), an attached structure will also increase your
homeowner's insurance. In many municipalities one even needs a permit
to erect a shed, even a fence, most anything. I would also strongly
suggest living there a minimum of one full year before investing in a
greenhouse, or any other major improvement, take time to experience
the lay of the land... you may even decide to move... that you're
purchasing an FHA rehab indicates you are very borderline home
ownership material... before investing any big bucks you should wait
until you know if you can actually afford to live there... if you just
gotta play in the dirt come spring plant a few annuals... you can't
possibly know where to put in a veggie garden until next year let
alone a green house. Have patience
Old 02-02-2010, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Ohioguy
wrote:

[...]

Got me thinking about something I read about once. A chicken coop with
rabbits that doubled as a small greenhouse. Seemed rabbits were feed
above and the missed food dropped to the chickens. Plants were nearby
(Protected) except for Russian Broadleaf Comfy which the chickens
nibbled on. The manure helped warm the place.

Omnivores Dilemma Pollan's book sort of touch on this I recall in a way.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...n+coop+greenho
use&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

If it needs $23,000.00 in repairs it is NOT a new house.

Ok, granted, I mean new to us house. It's the same when I get a
'new' pair of shoes - they tend to be ones worn a couple of times, or
never, and taken to the local thrift store because somebody didn't like
the color. It is a 30 year old home that someone neglected - didn't
repair the roof when it needed it, etc.

that you're purchasing an FHA rehab indicates you are very borderline
home

Actually, we have our current home 100% paid off, so we have a decent
amount of equity. We are not selling this home to purchase the new one
- prices are very depressed in the area right now, and we would take a
loss. Instead, we are renting it out after we move (20 minutes away),
and using the rent to fund our IRA.

Simply put, the FHA 203k rehab program had a lot of perks that made
it a better deal for us, such as them chipping in up to 2% of the cost
of the home towards closing costs, and several other worthy benefits.
Even with the roughly $23k in repairs, we are paying ~ $35k less than
the house sold for 3 years ago, when it still needed lots of repairs.

Best news: after we closed on the house, it was announced that
Caterpillar is opening a facility with 600 jobs just a mile away. That
can't hurt the value of the house!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:19:17 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

If it needs $23,000.00 in repairs it is NOT a new house.

Ok, granted, I mean new to us house. It's the same when I get a
'new' pair of shoes - they tend to be ones worn a couple of times, or
never, and taken to the local thrift store because somebody didn't like
the color. It is a 30 year old home that someone neglected - didn't
repair the roof when it needed it, etc.

that you're purchasing an FHA rehab indicates you are very borderline
home

Actually, we have our current home 100% paid off, so we have a decent
amount of equity. We are not selling this home to purchase the new one

Isn't what you are doing illegal... I was under the impression that
the FHA program is for first time home buyers only.
Old 13-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Nicki Goff's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1 View Post
[...]

Why not just use cold frames or purchase a cold frame greenhouse for now. These are all portable, easy to either build or set up from kits, and can add a few more growing weeks at either end of the season. Amazon handles some of the portable cold frame greenhouses, or you can easily make one from ideas and articles online.