Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-02-2010, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT Petrified hessian (burlap)

When I was a child, many decades ago, there were still a few structures
around on various farms that dated from the time of the Depression and that
were largely built out of a substance called petrified hessian (hessian
being what Americans call burlap).

To build these structures, a wooden frame would be constructed and then
hessian (burlap) would nailed to the frame whilst being stretched tight.
The hessian would then be painted with a mixture made up of water, alum,
cement, salt and lime. After about 3-5 coats of this mix, the structure
would be weather proof and the walls stiff and surprisingly durable (given
that even I can remember them and I wasn't born till after WWII). It was a
very cheap form of putting up shelter and seems to have been used for
poultry sheds and similar structures.

I was wondering if this form of building was used in other parts of the
world but google is surprisingly quiet about it even if I do use burlap as a
search term instead of hessian. Has anyone come across it before?

[IMG] code is On

Burlap root balls Kurt Gavin Gardening 9 22-05-2006 02:46 PM
Burlap as temporary shade cloth Richard Orchids 4 18-05-2005 03:46 AM
Plastic, burlap, screen to prevent weeds TC Gardening 4 30-05-2004 03:02 PM
Can I MOW over BURLAP? Rebecca Webb Gardening 3 23-04-2004 08:02 PM
Burlap wrapping for winter Jerome Gardening 7 08-10-2003 04:32 AM