Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soil amendments

I started my first compost pile last fall, mostly leaves mulched with my
mower. I turned it several times, but given the limited time, it's not
yet compost - mostly just leaves.

Anyway, I'm planning to use raised beds this season, and I was hoping to
use this "compost" in the raised beds. I was planning to rototill this
compost into the first several inches of soil, then install the raised
beds, add some more of this compost, and finish off with some local
topsoil from the local nursury.

Am I missing something? Will this leaf-compost be problematic? Should I
swap the topsoil planned for the raised beds for something else.

Any guidance for a newby would be greatly appreciated.

DB