Old 28-03-2010, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The Ultimate Tomato

The flavor of any tomato is a personal choice indeed. Many say Cherokee
Purple is the ultimate tomato while still others say Brandywine tops out
all others. Myself I think there is a much overlooked tomato called
Pruden's purple! This tomato is an heirloom variety that grows very
well under many conditions and is also very trouble free considering
it's not a hybrid. Many say it has the flavor of Brandywine but
produces much earlier. It's a pink beefsteak tomato that produces fruit
weighing up to a pound. Although it's a bit darker than most pink
tomatoes, it surely isn't purple in color. Don't hesitate to grow this
cultivar for the first time as it will indeed become a favorite tomato
in your garden for years to come! Some have even named this tomato
early Brandywine, it's that good! I consider it a mid season cropper
and in the dead heat of the summer, production will slow down although
will resume as temps. drop a bit. Once you try this tomato, like many
others, you may just decide to make this the main mid season tomato in
your garden year after year. How much better does it get? An heirloom
tomato with great old fashion tomato flavor that grows well in most any
zone with good production that requires very little care. Pruden's
purple could very well be the ultimate tomato for the home garden if the
great tomato flavor is to your liking. After growing this tomato last
year I can tell you that my garden will never be without at least a half
dozen plants

Rich

Old 30-03-2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Where did you get the seeds, I've never seen it in the catalogs.
What about disease resistance? Same as most heirlooms?

--
Rita Foust
Garland, TX

Old 30-03-2010, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

This tomato has very good resistance to disease for an heirloom tomato
and grows well in many zones. Below is the link where I got my seeds.
It's listed under beefsteak tomatoes on their site. Hope you give this
variety a try this year. I think you will be well pleased with the
results

Rich

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/index.html

Old 30-03-2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The Ultimate Tomato (Rita)

I got my seeds on line from Tomato Growers Supply Co. They are listed
under beefsteak tomatoes on their site. Pruden's purple is very easy to
grow with good disease resistance in my opinion.

Rich