Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Ultimate Lotus Garden

I have pretty much decided that at some point, I want to move the lotus out
of the main pond and build them their own. They'll probably move next year,
as this year I don't want to mess with them.

So what would be the ultimate lotus pond? I have a raise planter bed that we
are no longer using. It is about 4x8. I was thinking of lining that and
putting a bed of clay about 4-5 inches deep, and planting the tubers in
there. I figure if I dig down a bit, I could get 4-5 inches of clay, and 4-5
inches of water on top. I Plan to plant the tubors right in the mud, no
pots. This pond will be strictly a lotus garden, so I don't care if they
take over.

This pond will be up near the house which is a few feet above (in head) the
main ponds out back. At some point I want to build a stream that flows from
the Lotus pond to the VF. Water will be pumped from the VF, to the lotus and
then cascade down back to the VF. The stream would probably be about 75 feet
long in total length, as it winds down through the landscaping.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 02-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Nedra

Of course I have thoughts! lol ... First I think you are making the
lotus pond too small. Mine is 12 feet in diameter so don't
know how yours compares?

Move your lotuses either in the
fall when all growth has stopped or in the early spring.

I know nothing about anything else you talked about......
err something.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Of course I have thoughts! lol ... First I think you are making the
lotus pond too small. Mine is 12 feet in diameter so don't
know how yours compares?

Yours is 12' in diameter or a 6' radius so pi * r2 = 3.14 * (6 * 6) = 113
square feet. My plan is to use this already built bed which is 4 x 8 or 32
square feet. Is my math right? So I am looking about a 1/3 of the size of
yours, give or take. Talk to me about size...why do you think this is too
small?

Move your lotuses either in the
fall when all growth has stopped or in the early spring.

I planned for as much. Cool.

I know nothing about anything else you talked about......
err something.

snip

Sure you do.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Nedra

BV, I'll just take your math as a given ;-) lol

At 32 sq.ft., your pond will be overgrown in a couple
of months. Especially since you will be planting them
without benefit of a pot. Just take my word for it, BV.
You really do want a larger lotus pond. Why, just look
at a the size of your lotus leaves now!! Imagine what it will
be by the end of summer. Did you already tell us what kind
of lotus it is? If so, I didn't get the post.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

thlink.net...

Old 02-07-2003, 06:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
BV, I'll just take your math as a given ;-) lol

At 32 sq.ft., your pond will be overgrown in a couple
of months. Especially since you will be planting them
without benefit of a pot. Just take my word for it, BV.
You really do want a larger lotus pond. Why, just look
at a the size of your lotus leaves now!! Imagine what it will
be by the end of summer. Did you already tell us what kind
of lotus it is? If so, I didn't get the post.

snip

I don't know what kind of lotus it is, as it was donated by a neighbor. It
will surely take over the pond, which for now is OK. When I do the lotus
pond, it would be fine if it took over. I'd like it to be dense. Hmm...maybe
I need to do a multi tier lotus pond...Use the raised bed frame for the main
part, and let it overflow into a smaller pond, which could then open to a
stream and flow back to the VF. Hmm. Double the size for the lotus, add a
waterfall...I like.

BV.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Nedra

Good! - Btw, my pond is dense - real dense. Remember
the "owl head" that looked like a 'cat head' that scared me
to death - well.. the head was floating on top of the lotus
pond but under the dense lotus leaves .... I didn't see it at all.
- - - Now I forgot where I was going with that conversation.....
Oh DRAT!

Nedra
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
rthlink.net...

Old 03-07-2003, 06:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My thoughts, as it always scares me to think of letting anything run wild,
eventually they would become root bound and then think of the work to fix
that?

4X8 You could put 4 different kinds of lotus in there, in big pots that are
still physically manageable. The clay (since clay seems to be a problem)
would be contained and/or could be covered with weed fabric and river rock
if the flow disturbs it. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 03-07-2003, 01:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
My thoughts, as it always scares me to think of letting anything run wild,
eventually they would become root bound and then think of the work to fix
that?

I dunno. I have never done this before. What will the work be?

4X8 You could put 4 different kinds of lotus in there, in big pots that

are
still physically manageable. The clay (since clay seems to be a problem)
would be contained and/or could be covered with weed fabric and river rock
if the flow disturbs it. ~ jan

Hmm. I don't really want pots. I want it to be more natural looking. *sigh*

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Nedra

BV, Have you looked at my lotus pond.?
I think it looks natural - don't you?
The lotuses are planted in pots.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 03-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Nedra

Ohhh .. Okay. Please let me know if it looks artificial?

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
I'll check it out this weekend. I don't have good HTTP access here.

BV.

thlink.net...

Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Ohhh .. Okay. Please let me know if it looks artificial?

snip

I just looked...your Lotus garden looks fantastic. Perfect! I am still not
convinced I want pots though. What benefit do they give me? I don't plan on
having anything in this garden except lotus, so who cares if they take over?

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Nedra

I had the same arguments when I had my lotus pond dug.
The ladies who advised were on this NG ... they just
said I would be sorry because it is so hard to uproot the
lotuses to divide them. I think that is the only drawback.
Wellll ... add that and the fact that I am getting on in years and
can't trust myself to get out of 12 inches of silty sand!
The pond guy has a Big problem getting out and he is
6' 2" .... lol Seems the sand holds onto his boots and
creates a suction errr something.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
thlink.net...

Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My thoughts, as it always scares me to think of letting anything run wild,
eventually they would become root bound and then think of the work to fix
that? ~ jan

I dunno. I have never done this before. What will the work be?

Last year many local ponders were invited out to a lotus pond that had been
an experimental trial as a food crop. So they hacked and they pulled and
they just got plain muddy. In the end I don't think anyone got those tubers
to grow, and if they did not for long, I think the tubers got hacked into
because people couldn't see what they were doing. Whereas a lotus in a pot
just has to be up ended, rinse off and you can tell tubers from runners and
cut in the right places. At least I managed to do that and both groups are
growing and budding, and I feel I have a brown thumb with lotuses.

Moral of the story: if they get root bound, and growth becomes pathetic,
when you try to redo you may have to rebuy. Plus, a potted plant is so much
easier to rearrange, remove, replace. ~ jan