Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Default Levelling a garden

Una wrote:
I would use a water level. That's a clear flexible hose, open on both
ends. Pour water in, holding both ends up so it doesn't run out. The
water level is equal in both ends no matter what.

wrote:
For my last project I made my own water level out of clear flexible
hose. I don't know why but I found it difficult to get consistent
readings and difficult to prop up both ends of the hose.

Hose alone is difficult. For good tips on how to make a really easy
water level, see http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm

Una

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:08:45 -0400, "Tom J"

"Tom J" writes:

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:10:13 -0400, wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" writes:

khevlan wrote:
Hi all

I'm trying to level a section of garden to put down a patio. I
have
read guides on the internet about how to do this but do not
comprehend the information well (I'm a real gardening
beginner).

My understanding is that I need a "master peg," a spirit level
and
level planks but am not sure exactly what to do with them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How big is the area and how level does it need to be? Laser
levels
are quite cheap these days and much more effective over a large
area
if it needs to be accurate.

I believe laser levels are difficult to use outdoors.

Read that somewhere...

This is true, the beam is not very visible in daylight... nor are
all
laser levels similarly accurate,

That is a pure out lie!! Land surveyors & house builders use them
all
the time, almost exclusively!!

What land surveyors are using is of little interest to the average
homeowner.

I see prices ranging from $40 up into the hundreds of dollars.

The tool rental stores where I live have them for rent & 1/2 day
should be enough to do the job, IF IT HAS TO BE LEVEL. That I
question.

Tom J

Finally someone who is literate... patios are NOT supposed to be
level... string levels and laser levels are of absolutely no value for
building a patio.

[IMG] code is On

Conflicting advice on levelling and turfing my lawn. williamrobb88 Lawns 0 02-05-2007 11:09 AM
levelling garden [email protected] United Kingdom 5 27-09-2006 08:40 AM
Levelling a lawn LongYP United Kingdom 4 17-04-2006 09:42 AM
levelling the lawn G. Able United Kingdom 3 13-09-2004 12:28 PM
Levelling the land aka Robbie United Kingdom 9 19-08-2004 10:31 PM