Old 15-04-2010, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Low germination rate and viability

I am having some bad luck with my yellow cucumber seeds. About 20% is the
best germination rate I am getting. I am germinating them in moist tissues
then planting in pots. Does the weak germination rate point to weak plants?
Can I expect the seeds that do sprout to be healthy and vigorous or is this
whole batch of seeds inferior?

Old 15-04-2010, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I am having some bad luck with my yellow cucumber seeds. About 20% is the
best germination rate I am getting. I am germinating them in moist tissues
then planting in pots. Does the weak germination rate point to weak plants?
Can I expect the seeds that do sprout to be healthy and vigorous or is this
whole batch of seeds inferior?

According to "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
germination temperature should be 80 - 95°F. What temp are you using?
--
- Billy
Old 15-04-2010, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I am having some bad luck with my yellow cucumber seeds. About 20% is
the
best germination rate I am getting. I am germinating them in moist
tissues
then planting in pots. Does the weak germination rate point to weak
plants?
Can I expect the seeds that do sprout to be healthy and vigorous or is
this
whole batch of seeds inferior?

According to "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
germination temperature should be 80 - 95°F. What temp are you using?

Probably around 76F.

Paul

Old 15-04-2010, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I am having some bad luck with my yellow cucumber seeds. About 20% is
the
best germination rate I am getting. I am germinating them in moist
tissues
then planting in pots. Does the weak germination rate point to weak
plants?
Can I expect the seeds that do sprout to be healthy and vigorous or is
this
whole batch of seeds inferior?

According to "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
germination temperature should be 80 - 95°F. What temp are you using?

Probably around 76F.

Paul

Maybe place a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb near it, and keep
moving it closer until you get an acceptable temp. Do you mean lemon
cucumber? How many are you trying to germinate?
--
- Billy
Old 16-04-2010, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
I am having some bad luck with my yellow cucumber seeds. About 20%
is the best germination rate I am getting. I am germinating them in
moist tissues then planting in pots. Does the weak germination rate
point to weak plants?

Not necessarily. It could be that the whole lot is genetically superior and
will grow good plants but some seeds have been damaged (say) by fungus
because one corner of the packet got wet. In any case it is wise to select
the stronger seedlings to plant out, as long as you have enough, because you
are then dealing with both heredity (selecting the best genes) and
environment (selecting those that have a head start as they happen to have
grown in the best conditions).

Can I expect the seeds that do sprout to be
healthy and vigorous or is this whole batch of seeds inferior?

It depends on how you selected the seeds that you planted from the batch.
If they are a random selection and you have selected a fair number (at least
10) it is an indication that the whole batch is poor. It is a statisical
argument of the probability that the selection is representative of the
whole lot.

David

[IMG] code is On

Seed viability over time Paul M. Cook Gardening 2 21-04-2010 03:48 AM
Viability of Begonia corms Ennnceee Gardening 0 21-04-2009 10:47 AM
Tomatoes Germination Rate Judith Smith United Kingdom 1 28-03-2009 11:17 AM
Seed viability TheFool Orchids 10 07-02-2005 07:44 AM
Floating Seeds Indication of Viability? Fleemo Gardening 2 26-07-2003 01:02 AM