Old 25-04-2010, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Strange Azalea

I have an informal hedge of 'George Taber' azaleas in front of my
camellias. The azaleas are blooming right now. A close-up photo of a
flower is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/GeoTaber.jpg.

One of the plants has a branch with flowers that are all dark pink (a
color sport), resembling 'Formosa'. (A photo of a 'Formosa' bush in
bloom is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/Formosa_azalea.jpg.) The
other flowers on this same plant are definitely 'George Taber'.

Has anyone else seen such a strange color sport?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 26-04-2010, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 25, 1:46*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
I have an informal hedge of 'George Taber' azaleas in front of my
camellias. *The azaleas are blooming right now. *A close-up photo of a
flower is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/GeoTaber.jpg.

One of the plants has a branch with flowers that are all dark pink (a
color sport), resembling 'Formosa'. *(A photo of a 'Formosa' bush in
bloom is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/Formosa_azalea.jpg.) *The
other flowers on this same plant are definitely 'George Taber'.

Has anyone else seen such a strange color sport?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

Hi David
Yes I have such an azalea. It was here when we moved in, and I don't
know the
name of it. It does look very much like 'George Taber'. (so I am going
with that
as a name) It is rather large robust plant, 4 ft and I keep it pruned
to that size.
It is also very good at rooting its bottom branches and producing new
plants.

So Yes, it has had solid darkish pink/magenta flowers produced on a
branch,
as yours has done.
But it also has produced branches that have blooms that are bi-
colored. They
look as if someone took a ruler and drew a line right down the middle
of each
bloom. One side of the flower is the solid dark pink and the other
side of the
"line" is a pure white. This occurs every few years, not every year.
I would say that "George" is a product of a cross between a pink plant
and a
white one, and every so often the genes "separate" into the two parent
plants.
(no photos, sorry)

Emilie
NorCal
Old 26-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
I have an informal hedge of 'George Taber' azaleas in front of my
camellias. The azaleas are blooming right now. A close-up photo of a
flower is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/GeoTaber.jpg.

One of the plants has a branch with flowers that are all dark pink (a
color sport), resembling 'Formosa'. (A photo of a 'Formosa' bush in
bloom is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/Formosa_azalea.jpg.) The
other flowers on this same plant are definitely 'George Taber'.

Has anyone else seen such a strange color sport?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
Hi David,

'George Lindley Taber' is a sport of 'Omurasaki' which has a purple flower. What you are seeing is a reversion to the original phenotype. To make matters more interesting, you will also eventually see white self flowers on 'George Lindley Taber'. The white self sport has been named 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing'. So, if you have 'George Lindley Taber', 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing', or 'Omurasaki', you will eventually (at some later date) see the other two.

Bill Miller
Bethesda, MD
The Azalea Works Home Page
Old 28-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
I have an informal hedge of 'George Taber' azaleas in front of my
camellias. The azaleas are blooming right now. A close-up photo of a
flower is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/GeoTaber.jpg.

One of the plants has a branch with flowers that are all dark pink (a
color sport), resembling 'Formosa'. (A photo of a 'Formosa' bush in
bloom is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/Formosa_azalea.jpg.) The
other flowers on this same plant are definitely 'George Taber'.

Has anyone else seen such a strange color sport?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
I didn't know about color spot, but If the plant gets too dry, wait about 15 minutes after the first watering and repeat watering in the same way. it is vital to understand the impact of cultural and environmental factors on this plant.

[IMG] code is On

Backyard Azalea 3Putt in Coastal SC Garden Photos 0 01-04-2009 01:24 AM
A strange sight at Home Depot...nothing strange at all about their practice! Roy Gardening 3 01-04-2004 07:41 AM
azalea papanix United Kingdom 6 19-11-2003 11:22 AM
azalea questions Tanya Gardening 6 11-02-2003 05:55 PM
[IBC] azalea basics Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 05:26 AM