Old 12-05-2010, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ground cover problem

Hi,

I have a slope approx 10 yards by 20 yards. It was originally
covered in heavy brush and some broken pine trees that had
been there for over 20 years. I had it
cleared down to basic pine needle mulch, with mucho roots and
vines protruding. I have planted probably 100 purple
wintercreeper plants so far, trying to spread them out as evenly
as possible. Basically I just want a decent ground cover that will
not tower over the house and stay fairly low.

However, the native plants, ie: poison ivy, some shrub like plants,
virgina creeper, poplar trees, walnut trees, etc have begun to
reemerge and outpace the groundcover I've been planting. It looks like
it is getting out of hand. Is spot treating with brush killer the only
way to keep this in line until the wintercreeper takes off?

Thanks,

itchy
Old 13-05-2010, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 12, 10:01*am, internaughtfull
wrote:
[...]

Only for a nozzlehead, a better approach is to grub out what you can
by the roots, apply herbicides where you can't and put down an organic
mulch to suppress weed seeds. Try spot application to stubs with a
paintbrush as soon as you sever topgrowth, two people working together
one with lopper the other with the brush killer.
Old 13-05-2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
internaughtfull wrote:

[...]

Why isn't pulling them out by hand working? I have ivy, oak, buck-eye,
poison oak, wild plumb and assorted other plants trying to push up where
they're not wanted. See 'em. Grab 'em, and pull 'em. Probably take you
10 minutes the first time, and 5 min./wk. there after.
--
- Billy
Old 13-05-2010, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
internaughtfull wrote:

[...]

Wild Plumb???! Be too much ;O)

Old 14-05-2010, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 13, 2:38*pm, Billy wrote:
[...]

Why isn't pulling them out by hand working? I have ivy, oak, buck-eye,
poison oak, wild plumb and assorted other plants trying to push up where
they're not wanted. See 'em. Grab 'em, and pull 'em. Probably take you
10 minutes the first time, and 5 min./wk. there after.
--
- Billy

[...]

Ok, don the PVC gloves and roundup, onward! I'll get a bucket
of soapy water to stick the gloves in after I'm finished. Hey, glad
I thought of that. I don't know what that stuff is that looks like
cataloupe leaves but it outpaces everything.

itchy

Old 14-05-2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
internaughtfull wrote:

On May 13, 2:38*pm, Billy wrote:
[...]

Why isn't pulling them out by hand working? I have ivy, oak, buck-eye,
poison oak, wild plumb and assorted other plants trying to push up where
they're not wanted. See 'em. Grab 'em, and pull 'em. Probably take you
10 minutes the first time, and 5 min./wk. there after.
--
- Billy

[...]

Ok, don the PVC gloves and roundup, onward! I'll get a bucket
of soapy water to stick the gloves in after I'm finished. Hey, glad
I thought of that. I don't know what that stuff is that looks like
cataloupe leaves but it outpaces everything.

itchy

Be sure to sniff the Round-up first, to make sure it's fresh;O)

Since your too lazy to pull weeds, your probably to lazy to read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup
--
- Billy