Old 17-05-2010, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Free compost

Whee! Saturday, the city of Santa Monica offered free compost, first
come
first served. My neighbor took me over in his pickup. Early as we
were,there
was already a line ahead of us. Finally we got to take our shovels
and heavy
duty plastic bags and dig into the most
Old 17-05-2010, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 17, 12:30*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Whee! *Saturday, the city of Santa Monica offered free compost, first
come
first served. *My neighbor took me over in his pickup. *Early as we
were,there
was already a line ahead of us. *Finally we got to take our shovels
and heavy
duty plastic bags and dig into the most

Hmmm...must have hit the wrong key. Let's try again:

....the most
Old 17-05-2010, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 17, 12:30*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Whee! *Saturday, the city of Santa Monica offered free compost, first
come
first served. *My neighbor took me over in his pickup. *Early as we
were,there
was already a line ahead of us. *Finally we got to take our shovels
and heavy
duty plastic bags and dig into the most

What is going on???!!!

....the most BEAUTIFUL dark, fragrant compost. I was expecting a
more granular texture, but this was almost powder fine.

It was a good-natured crowd, shoveling compost into buckets,
plastic bags, trash bins, and making their way to their vehicles with
varying degrees of difficulty.
I scored six bags, which won't go far, so I hope the City does it
again soon.

While there, I also ordered a new compost bin, as the old one was
sagging and
bowed, and not delivering as much compost as I need. This one is a
square
Smith & Hawken Biocompost bin

http://www.consumersearch.com/compost-bins

which looks great and I hope it does well. Only inconvenience is
having to unload
the compost segment by segment in order to "turn" the pile. In my
situation,
it means I have to move a lot of heavy, clumsy stuff around in order
to free
up a space where the compost can be unloaded. But then, that ****
needed
to be moved anyway -- give me a chance throw out a lot of old,
termited
lumber bits, for one thing!

Am also toying with the idea of buying one of their subsidized worm
bins.
A lady I talked to swore by hers, so maybe I'll take the leap. Stay
tuned!

So, wish me luck with my new toy. Now off to write the City to make
this
a regular event!

Hypatia
Old 18-05-2010, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

My area also gives away free compost once a week for years, to the
locals only. Difference is, everyone here lines up with their pickup
trucks and a front loader drops a cubic yard in the back of your truck.
No shovels needed. No getting out of truck. Ten minutes and gone. I am
amazed that some pull up in Ford Rangers and Chevy S10's - Those little
trucks can take it!

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 18-05-2010, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 17, 9:30*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.- Hide quoted text -

My area does this with mulch but what I got last year was more like
compost.
You cannot put yard waste in garbage anymore but you can diliver it to
areas where it is ground and free for all.
I've got a Subaru Forester and got 4 bags but leaf bags were barely
adequate to hold it. Others with pickups had a good deal going as
they could just fill the trucks bed. "Free" for me is too much effort.

Old 18-05-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

While there, I also ordered a new compost bin, as the old one was
sagging and
bowed, and not delivering as much compost as I need. This one is a
square
Smith & Hawken Biocompost bin

http://www.consumersearch.com/compost-bins

which looks great and I hope it does well. Only inconvenience is
having to unload
the compost segment by segment in order to "turn" the pile. In my
situation,
it means I have to move a lot of heavy, clumsy stuff around in order
to free
up a space where the compost can be unloaded. But then, that ****
needed
to be moved anyway -- give me a chance throw out a lot of old,
termited
lumber bits, for one thing!

I used to use 4 pallets, arranged to form a cube, with the top corners tied
together. Untie the two corners on the front, and move the pallet out of the way
when you want to empty it.