Old 20-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered User

Default Plants that need little water

Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers, Steve
Old 20-05-2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

--
Steakandchips

Porchulaca (sp). I have heard some call it prim rose too. Bright
flowers and very little water.
MJ
Old 20-05-2010, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I
could really do with some advice. *So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers,
Steve

--
Steakandchips

Porchulaca (sp). I have heard some call it prim rose too. Bright
flowers and very little water.
MJ

I grew up with Porchulaca but sadly it is not about. A remedial is in
order.

Looks edible too. Sorry I can answer your specific query but I am
grateful for the look about.

Porchulaca

http://indianapublicmedia.org/earthe...cken-fried-zuc
chini-blossoms/

You purists may want to look at the folks about.
About 3 times...

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 21-05-2010, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I
could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers,
Steve

--
Steakandchips

Porchulaca (sp). I have heard some call it prim rose too. Bright
flowers and very little water.
MJ

Portulaca has succulent foliage, abd will do well with little water -
any succulent will, and there are many. Zinnias, once established, seem
to largely shrug off drought conditions, but will need watering once in
a while. There are many others, too.

Tony
Old 20-05-2010, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Steakandchips wrote:

Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I
could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers,
Steve

Try googling xeric plants, container

and have a look at
http://www.xeriscapedesign.com/Xeric_Shrubs.html
--
- Billy

Old 21-05-2010, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steakandchips wrote:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with
but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank.
Cheers, Steve

Succulents. Try pigface.

David
Old 21-05-2010, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

In ,
Steakandchips spewed forth:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with
but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank.
Cheers, Steve

Lantana

http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertpl.../a/lantana.htm

Old 22-05-2010, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Steakandchips spewed forth:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with
but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank.
Cheers, Steve

Lantana

http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertpl.../a/lantana.htm

I was going to say that. I believe lantana is in the mint family (square
stem), but when I googled up mints I came up with average water needs.
Not sure what is going on. I have had mixed luck and currently have none.

Jeff
Old 22-05-2010, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Steakandchips spewed forth:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with
but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank.
Cheers, Steve

Lantana

http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertpl.../a/lantana.htm

I was going to say that. I believe lantana is in the mint family (square
stem), but when I googled up mints I came up with average water needs.
Not sure what is going on. I have had mixed luck and currently have none.

Jeff

http://www.gardeners.com/Drought-Tol...default,pg.htm

May be of interest.

Old 22-05-2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansevieria_trifasciata

Old 22-05-2010, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansevieria_trifasciata

or

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...6119860/1341?T
itle=Drought-tolerant-beauty
--
- Billy
Old 22-05-2010, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 22, 7:48*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
ChairMan wrote:
,
Steakandchips spewed forth:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with
but I could really do with some advice. *So far I've drawn a blank.
Cheers, Steve

Lantana

http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertpl.../a/lantana.htm

I was going to say that. I believe lantana is in the mint family (square
stem), but when I googled up mints I came up with average water needs.
Not sure what is going on. I have had mixed luck and currently have none.

* *Jeff

Jeff, Lantana is in the Verbena Family. (not all plants with square
stems are Mint Family;
but all mints have square stems).

Emilie
Old 23-05-2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

ChairMan wrote:
,
Steakandchips spewed forth:
Hi everyone,
Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the
sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with
but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank.
Cheers, Steve
Lantana
http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertpl.../a/lantana.htm

I was going to say that. I believe lantana is in the mint family (square
stem), but when I googled up mints I came up with average water needs.
Not sure what is going on. I have had mixed luck and currently have none.

Jeff

Jeff, Lantana is in the Verbena Family. (not all plants with square
stems are Mint Family;
but all mints have square stems).

It all makes so much sense, now!

If it wasn't for misconceptions, I'd have no conceptions.

Jeff

Emilie

Old 23-05-2010, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

ChairMan wrote:
,
[...]

Are you talking about gardening again? What are we gonna do with you ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 21-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakandchips View Post
Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers, Steve

Thanks guys, off to my garden centre tomorrow armed with all the info. Much appreciated.