Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered User

Default Growing Garlic

Hi

I am new on here.

I love gardening and we try and grow as much as we possible can. We grow garlic and we have got terrible rust on it. We had the same problem last year. We ended up pulling the garlic early as it was so bad.

Does anyone know what to do about it?

Thanks

Beep
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

vegetablegarden wrote:
Hi

I am new on here.

I love gardening and we try and grow as much as we possible can. We
grow garlic and we have got terrible rust on it. We had the same
problem last year. We ended up pulling the garlic early as it was so
bad.

Does anyone know what to do about it?

Thanks

Beep

Please tell us where you are, what the climate is like and how you grow your
garlic.

David

Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
vegetablegarden wrote:
Hi

I am new on here.

I love gardening and we try and grow as much as we possible can. We
grow garlic and we have got terrible rust on it. We had the same
problem last year. We ended up pulling the garlic early as it was so
bad.

Does anyone know what to do about it?

Thanks

Beep

Please tell us where you are, what the climate is like and how you grow your
garlic.

David
hi

I live in Cornwall, and we grow it in raised beds about 2" apart.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

On 2010-06-05, vegetablegarden wrote:

I live in Cornwall, and we grow it in raised beds about 2" apart.

How close to the sea? Garlic rust? Have to look it up. Garlic
does like bone meal though. I'm not much help.
--
Bud
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

vegetablegarden wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;889832']vegetablegarden wrote:-
Hi

I am new on here.

I love gardening and we try and grow as much as we possible can. We
grow garlic and we have got terrible rust on it. We had the same
problem last year. We ended up pulling the garlic early as it was so
bad.

Does anyone know what to do about it?

Vegetablegarden:

I posted this a few days ago, and it will serve here as well as my
original post. Ad far as the rust - which I believe is a fungus disease
- make sure the foliage is as dry as can be by sundown - never water
late in the day. If you see it, get on it immediately by dusting it
with sulfur powder. Also, if possible, do not plant it where it grew
before. Keep it *immaculately* weeded - garlic hates competing with
weeds, and they can exacerbate the rust problem under certain
circumstances, too. As to my post of the other day, it continues he

Garlic is the easiest plant to selectively breed. The rule is simple:
Plant big cloves, they make big bulbs. Plant small cloves, get very
disappointing bulbs. Whether you plant garlic you buy in the
supermarket (which has always worked extremely well for me) or by
certified garlic stock from a seedman, get twice what you think you want
to plant, and plant only the largest cloves.

In most areas of the country, garlic is best planted about a week after
the first frost. It winters over, vernalizing that way, and comes up in
the early spring. Those bulbs will ultimately be larger than ones
planted in the early spring, but in my experience, the difference
(assuming well prepared soil) is not great. Garlic doesn't need a lot
of fertilizer, but it does need light, loose well-drained soil with
plenty of organic matter. Though it will actually grow in shade, the
more sun it gets, the better. My first year, I planted in the spring,
buying the bulbs in late February, and vernalizing them in the coldest
part of the refrigerator for a month. If you want to grow garlic to
keep a long while (up to a year) grow softneck varieties (Silverskin,
Artichoke, California Early and Late). Those are the "supermarket"
garlics. Hard neck garlics are a more gourmet item, with distinctly
different characteristics, but they only keep a few months, generally.
When the foliage is about half died down (mid-late summer), scrape soil
gently away from a plant and look at and feel the top of the garlic
bulb, If it's still one smooth bulb, give it another week or ten days,
and check again. If it has "cloved" (you can feel the many cloves
around the perimeter) it's ready. Dig it up gently, and store them in a
dark, dry place for 3-4 weeks to cure completely. A box frame with a
screen bottom or a mesh onion bag is ideal for this. Then braid or trim
the leaves and cut off the roots. Always save however many bulbs you
need to be next years seed stock, and save the biggest ones (that's the
selective breeding angle).

My first year, I bought my seed stock from the bulk garlic bin for
$1.00. That was the last time I bought garlic. Nature has suppied me
since. Quite a return on an initial investment!

Tony M.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

On 2010-06-05, vegetablegarden wrote:

I live in Cornwall, and we grow it in raised beds about 2" apart.

How close to the sea? Garlic rust? Have to look it up. Garlic
does like bone meal though. I'm not much help.

Following up me own post, I looked on Wikiapedia. And it is a
fungus, sulfur powder might do the trick or a fugicide with
azoxystrobin in the label. It is safe except to fish and easily
broken down in the soil causes no harm to earthworms.

Companion plants:Clover, Chive, Leek , Nasturtium , Southernwood,
Daffodils. You can find that all on Wikiapedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/
HTH
--
Bud
Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bud wrote:

Companion plants Nasturtium ,

Pretty flowers. I prefer red for hummers that taste like pepper.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Bud wrote:

Companion plants Nasturtium ,

Pretty flowers. I prefer red for hummers that taste like pepper.

It doesn't look like there is much meat on them. Do you eat them on skewers
or spatchcocked like quail?

David

Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks for the garlic tips. When we had dry weather we watered it in the evening - that's obviously why we have the rust. We learn something every day.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered User

When planting garlic, choose a garden site that gets plenty of sun and where the soil is not too damp. The cloves should be planted individually, upright and about an inch under the surface.
__________________
vegetable garden

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered User

Garlic growing is easy in the home garden. you should Maintaining top quality requires care and attention. Weeding is important as garlic does not like competition. Watering and not watering, harvesting on time and curing properly are all important for producing bulbs with good keeping qualities. You can plant garlic in single or double rows or in intensive beds with four to six plants across with four to eight inches between plants. Garlic is one of the easiest and most satisfying crops you can grow.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered User

I like gardening, we try and grow as much as we may be able to. We grow garlic, we have terrible rust on it. We have the same problem last year. We ended the early pull garlic, because it is so bad.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 21-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered User

Garlic growing is simple in the home garden. you should Maintaining top superior requires affliction and attention. Weeding is important as garlic does not like competition. Watering and not watering, agriculture on time and abating appropriately are all important for bearing bulbs with acceptable befitting qualities.
How To Use Grow Lights

[IMG] code is On

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic Growing Problems [email protected] United Kingdom 0 24-05-2004 07:11 PM
Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 9 18-04-2004 06:05 AM
Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 0 06-04-2004 09:15 PM
Moron growing garlic Mary McHugh Edible Gardening 9 27-04-2003 07:20 AM