Old 07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered User

Default rainwater watering in small spaces

Hi. My first post!
I live in a small cottage in a Conservation Area on the Channel coast. I have a couple of hanging baskets at the front of my house and they are sited next to a rainwater pipe. My rear garden has an automatic watering system but these baskets are too far away to be fed from this. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience about using rainwater from the front of the house? Unfortunately these 200yr old properties do not have gardens to the front so I cannot install a water butt and, whatever I do use, it has to be relatively discrete due to conservation laws. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

keithcav wrote:
Hi. My first post!
I live in a small cottage in a Conservation Area on the Channel
coast. I have a couple of hanging baskets at the front of my house
and they are sited next to a rainwater pipe. My rear garden has an
automatic watering system but these baskets are too far away to be
fed from this. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience about using
rainwater from the front of the house? Unfortunately these 200yr old
properties do not have gardens to the front so I cannot install a
water butt and, whatever I do use, it has to be relatively discrete
due to conservation laws. Thanks.

How do you water the baskets now?
What is your primary aim, to water the plants more easily or to use roof
water instead of wasting it?
I am assuming that you have mains pressure water supply. Where is the
nearest part of your household cold water supply pipes to these baskets?

David