Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is there an animal that will selectively dig up baby hollyhocks?

My wife says the neighbor is stealing her hollyhocks. She is probably
correct. The holes are clean, like from an English hand trowel, no
foot prints around them. What is left of her seedlings in a hole
2"wide by 3" deep. They were randomly planted amidst scattered other
species. My wife is not into symmetry. So... if they were stolen by
a human, the thief had to know exactly what the baby plant looks like.

I read somewhere that baby plants are eaten down by rabbits but they
do not dig holes. Red and gray squirrels eat bulbs .. not rooted
planted as best I can tell.

So .. it seems there is an 80% chance she is correct and maybe
there is a 20% chance squirrels are doing it, but do not leave digging
mounds and not tracks?

[IMG] code is On

Why is there so much animal rights post in this newsgroup ? [email protected] United Kingdom 41 15-09-2007 08:33 PM
The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity that funds and promotes exclusively non-animal research techniques to replace animal experiments Cerumen[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2007 04:57 PM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
Caterpillars on Hollyhocks Roy United Kingdom 10 23-04-2003 01:59 PM
Hollyhocks Leaves Look Like Lace Doilies! Fleemo Gardening 2 24-02-2003 08:29 PM