Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's ailing my mint?

This "weed" came in with a load of topsoil a few years ago. It smells &
tastes like pennyroyal, I just love the stuff. So much that I brought some
with me when I moved to another state. I've been keeping it in a half-barrel
planter, and every year it seems to get worse. The newer growth doesn't seem
so much affected as the first spring shoots, though.

http://webpages.charter.net/slyrp/Pl...20arvensis.JPG

Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Nelly Wensdow" wrote:

This "weed" came in with a load of topsoil a few years ago. It smells &
tastes like pennyroyal, I just love the stuff. So much that I brought some
with me when I moved to another state. I've been keeping it in a half-barrel
planter, and every year it seems to get worse. The newer growth doesn't seem
so much affected as the first spring shoots, though.

http://webpages.charter.net/slyrp/Pl...20arvensis.JPG

I'd sterilize and replant in a year. NASTY looking but container
growing really requires a lot of hands on I'd miss this image in my wild
garden. Whew!!!

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/10/10 1:38 PM, Nelly Wensdow wrote:
This "weed" came in with a load of topsoil a few years ago. It smells &
tastes like pennyroyal, I just love the stuff. So much that I brought some
with me when I moved to another state. I've been keeping it in a half-barrel
planter, and every year it seems to get worse. The newer growth doesn't seem
so much affected as the first spring shoots, though.

http://webpages.charter.net/slyrp/Pl...20arvensis.JPG

If it is indeed pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium), it requires constant
moisture. It even tolerates wet soil. It needs either full sun or part
shade and occasional feeding.

However, pennyroyal has round leaves. Your photos shows long, pointed
leaves.

Be careful with pennyroyal, both in your garden and in your mouth. All
mints can become very invasive if they escape a container. Pennyroyal
can be toxic if you eat significant amounts, but it's safe in small
amounts (e.g., as a flavoring).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

Essential oil of pennyroyal once used to abort children. Still useful
to drive ants out of a home. Smells sweet then cloys . A little goes
a long way.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote
"David E. Ross" wrote:

If it is indeed pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium), it requires constant
moisture. It even tolerates wet soil. It needs either full sun or part
shade and occasional feeding.

However, pennyroyal has round leaves. Your photos shows long, pointed
leaves.

Be careful with pennyroyal, both in your garden and in your mouth. All
mints can become very invasive if they escape a container. Pennyroyal
can be toxic if you eat significant amounts, but it's safe in small
amounts (e.g., as a flavoring).

Essential oil of pennyroyal once used to abort children. Still useful
to drive ants out of a home. Smells sweet then cloys . A little goes
a long way.

All true. I've grown M. pulegium before, but I think this is arvensis.
Actually its leaf form is more like the American pennyroyal, Hedeoma
pulegioides. But I wonder if the same compound that's bad is also in this,
as well as the American.
Here's what the plant normally looks like, maybe someone can confirm/deny my
ID:
http://webpages.charter.net/slyrp/Pl...20arvensis.JPG

The leaves are I guess at most 25mm long.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/10/10 5:16 PM, Nelly Wensdow wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

It has the square stem and opposing leaves of a mint. However, the
flowers seem to be radially symmetric while mints have flowers that are
only bilaterally symmetric.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote
I think this is arvensis.
Actually its leaf form is more like the American pennyroyal, Hedeoma
pulegioides. But I wonder if the same compound that's bad is also in
this,
as well as the American.
Here's what the plant normally looks like, maybe someone can confirm/deny
my
ID:
http://webpages.charter.net/slyrp/Pl...20arvensis.JPG

The leaves are I guess at most 25mm long.

It has the square stem and opposing leaves of a mint. However, the
flowers seem to be radially symmetric while mints have flowers that are
only bilaterally symmetric.

That's the problem with trying to photograph a 1.5mm flower (with a
10-year-old digital camera). With a 16x loupe I saw that the petal markings
are bilaterally symmetrical. A page I found on a similar, if not the same
plant:

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/res...id_plant=mear4
"The 4-lobed and nearly symmetrical clusters of flowers along the stem
distinguish this so-called true mint from many others that have flowers in
slender spikes at the stem tips or in upper axils."

[IMG] code is On

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Ailing vanda sansai blue Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 9 20-02-2004 11:43 PM
Ailing Croton Trevor Gardening 1 27-07-2003 07:22 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
Ailing Phalaenopsis Allan Risk Orchids 6 04-02-2003 09:38 PM