Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do I care for Dwarf Sunflowers ??

I bought several of these and have put them in larger containers.
Trying to find out how to care for them has been impossible. A Google
search revealed what's below. When the bloom has obviously lost its
"looks" should it be dead headed? How do you get the buds on the
upright stem to bloom? Any help would be appreciated.

BALLAD SUNFLOWER

Dwarf 24 inch plants (shorter in containers) produce large (up to 6
inches across) bright golden-yellow flowers with dark disks. Mildew
resistant, easy to grow, high performing plants.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Do not overwater. Allow the medium to moderately
dry, then water thoroughly. Avoid watering in the late
afternoon as the foliage will stay wet during the night
and create an environment favorable for powdery
mildew.

Feed them with low phosphorus fertilizer, ie smaller middle number.

As for deadheading half the fun of sunflowers is watching the
goldfinches eat.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
beecrofter wrote:

Do not overwater. Allow the medium to moderately
dry, then water thoroughly. Avoid watering in the late
afternoon as the foliage will stay wet during the night
and create an environment favorable for powdery
mildew.

Feed them with low phosphorus fertilizer, ie smaller middle number.

As for deadheading half the fun of sunflowers is watching the
goldfinches eat.

There is a danger here. One might end up feeding the birds suet,
sunflower seeds and Sugar 1/4. Then god forbid there is niger for the
hopeless lovers of beauty.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?