Old 13-06-2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default plants you let live about

brooklyn1 wrote:
wrote:
songbird writes:
songbird wrote:
as it goes...

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/poppies.jpg

The image is beautiful.

A few seconds with Gimp or Photoshop would deal nicely with
the
stop sign.

Can you crop out all those stones and paste in plantings... I
like all
those lovely spruce trees but there's something about all those
stones
I find visually disturbing... makes what is otherwise a
pleasing
landscape look like a drive-in movie lot with Psycho about to
start...
you can replace that stop sign with Alfred Hitchcock's image.

you haven't seen nothin' yet.

do you know what a puddingstone is?

we have a large collection of rocks from
all over the country. some day when i am
not taking pictures of plants or doing otherwise
things horticultural (or horrikultureal as you
might think it) i will snap some pictures of
the rocks so you can admire them in your
nightmares.

songbird

Old 13-06-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?

can't recall the name in most cases,
some varieties were from a neighbor
who had a few last pods left before
she abandoned her gardening. that
was a few plants that started and then
a few other packages of seeds. all
were scattered in the red garden and
then have migrated north across the
driveway. there are still plenty to the
south too, my picture could not
capture it all.

songbird
Old 13-06-2010, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?

can't recall the name in most cases,
some varieties were from a neighbor
who had a few last pods left before
she abandoned her gardening. that
was a few plants that started and then
a few other packages of seeds. all
were scattered in the red garden and
then have migrated north across the
driveway. there are still plenty to the
south too, my picture could not
capture it all.

songbird

Ignore Billy he is guy behind the screen. If you would like to get
some images or music once in a while send email to
.

Take out the golf warning and your mail box may be and mine more
interesting. Billy is about.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 13-06-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nelly Wensdow wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

I let one mullein self seed just because I like the old
fashion
history it projects. Got just one Russian Broad Leaf Comfey
as a
reminder of the chickens we had. Could turn either into many
via
seed or root cuttings. Then again I got some hops I can't
kill
which might be just one monster vine. Have anything about you
sentimental about?

Sometimes it seems like volunteers are the only chance I have
at
adding plants here. Every year earwigs or something skeletonize
the
sage, and with the exception of a cactus every perennial I've
planted
has croaked before the season was out. Never had such trouble
anywhere else.

wow! that's a tough place. whereabouts are you
at?

I have some blue vervain that tries to invade my garden that I
happen
to rather like, so I let a few plants stay on every year. En
masse
the flowers are nice in an understated kind of way, even if the
plants are a tad on the weedy side.

i like them too. we don't allow them
to roam here, they can grow along the
ditches all they want.

Other than that I have a bit of weed Portulaca growing in a
leftover
container that'll stay until I get tired of nibbling on it or
it goes
to seed. Also have a few columbine that grew where the seeds
fell on
the way to the compost pile after deadheading. I hope they
colonize
under the trees (so far, so good).

columbines are beauties, i especially like the
purple-white, and solid purple varieties.

Thinking the birds would enjoy it, I once let a sunflower seed
grow
where it fell near the feeder, but I don't think I'll do that
again
soon. It grew next to the fence and the neighbors apparently
thought
I was fostering a weed, and expressed their disapproval by
dumping
their ashtrays on it under the fence. (Well, they're yahoos
anyway.)

heh, i am so glad to not be living in the city where the
neighbors and ordinances can stop me from goofing
around. they have regulations about cutting lawns that
if you don't you'll get a citation and if you ignore the
citation they'll cut your lawn for you and send you the
bill... my ex-gf at the time got one of those for letting
some daisies grow out in her yard.

they wouldn't know what to do with my red patch.

i would enjoy pooping on your neighbor's
car as i fly by, give me coordinates...

songbird *peep*

Old 13-06-2010, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?

can't recall the name in most cases,
some varieties were from a neighbor
who had a few last pods left before
she abandoned her gardening. that
was a few plants that started and then
a few other packages of seeds. all
were scattered in the red garden and
then have migrated north across the
driveway. there are still plenty to the
south too, my picture could not
capture it all.

songbird

Ignore Billy he is guy behind the screen. If you would like to
get
some images or music once in a while send email to
.

Take out the golf warning and your mail box may be and mine
more
interesting. Billy is about.

if you have a website i will catch pics there, i don't
like e-mailed pics sent to me, but this e-address is
valid for text/personal messages (no jokes or
chain mail please).

also i have been usenet writer/reading since mid-80s
so i'm fine by it and enjoy playing with people even
those who are otherwise strangely encrusted by life.

sometimes i liken a bit of lichen.

songbird

Old 13-06-2010, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?

can't recall the name in most cases,
some varieties were from a neighbor
who had a few last pods left before
she abandoned her gardening. that
was a few plants that started and then
a few other packages of seeds. all
were scattered in the red garden and
then have migrated north across the
driveway. there are still plenty to the
south too, my picture could not
capture it all.

songbird

See "Coquelicots" in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

These are the poppies that we buy on "Veterans Day"
--
- Billy
Old 13-06-2010, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?

can't recall the name in most cases,
some varieties were from a neighbor
who had a few last pods left before
she abandoned her gardening. that
was a few plants that started and then
a few other packages of seeds. all
were scattered in the red garden and
then have migrated north across the
driveway. there are still plenty to the
south too, my picture could not
capture it all.

songbird

Ignore Billy he is guy behind the screen. If you would like to get
some images or music once in a while send email to
.

Take out the golf warning and your mail box may be and mine more
interesting. Billy is about.

Billy is about "WHAT"?
--
- Billy
Old 13-06-2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
See "Coquelicots" in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

no binary groups on this server.
the main reason i give them money
yearly. relatively little spam and
no distractions.

for picture/definitions i look at
wikipedia and find it useful enough.
for most other things i tend to not
click graphics/sounds/pictures/videos
because i just don't have that big a
pipe to get bytes through and i don't
want to plug my line up if i'm in the
middle of a good conversation (well,
ok, clickversation is more like it ).

These are the poppies that we buy on "Veterans Day"

ah, well, sure, they look
like that.

peace, time to go,

songbird
Old 13-06-2010, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Poppies of Flanders, i.e. coquelicots?

can't recall the name in most cases,
some varieties were from a neighbor
who had a few last pods left before
she abandoned her gardening. that
was a few plants that started and then
a few other packages of seeds. all
were scattered in the red garden and
then have migrated north across the
driveway. there are still plenty to the
south too, my picture could not
capture it all.

songbird

Ignore Billy he is guy behind the screen. If you would like to get
some images or music once in a while send email to
.

Take out the golf warning and your mail box may be and mine more
interesting. Billy is about.

Billy is about "WHAT"?

Billy may read ya.

Old 14-06-2010, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"songbird" wrote
Sometimes it seems like volunteers are the only chance I have at
adding plants here. Every year earwigs or something skeletonize the
sage, and with the exception of a cactus every perennial I've planted
has croaked before the season was out. Never had such trouble
anywhere else.

wow! that's a tough place. whereabouts are you
at?

I'm in the upper midwest, prairie.

I have some blue vervain that tries to invade my garden that I happen
to rather like, so I let a few plants stay on every year. En masse
the flowers are nice in an understated kind of way, even if the
plants are a tad on the weedy side.

i like them too. we don't allow them
to roam here, they can grow along the
ditches all they want.

After seeing your pics, that's certainly understandable.

[...]

gasp..! I hope they don't come after me for the birdsfoot trefoil that
spills out over the curb...

they wouldn't know what to do with my red patch.

Those look like pinks; is that what they are?

i would enjoy pooping on your neighbor's
car as i fly by, give me coordinates...

songbird *peep*

:-)

Old 14-06-2010, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nelly Wensdow wrote:
songbird wrote
Sometimes it seems like volunteers are the only chance I have
at
adding plants here. Every year earwigs or something
skeletonize the
sage, and with the exception of a cactus every perennial I've
planted has croaked before the season was out. Never had such
trouble anywhere else.

wow! that's a tough place. whereabouts are you
at?

I'm in the upper midwest, prairie.

have you had any luck with
hyacynths, daffodils and tulips or
other bulbs/corms/tubers?

if you check the zone, some might
take, but i might also plant deeper
than normal to give some added
protection. well of course that
would also depend upon the
sun/water/soil conditions as to how
they would do.

i'd think that almost anything
above ground would get freeze-
dried in those winters...

I have some blue vervain that tries to invade my garden that
happen to rather like, so I let a few plants stay on every
year. En
masse the flowers are nice in an understated kind of way,
even if
the plants are a tad on the weedy side.

i like them too. we don't allow them
to roam here, they can grow along the
ditches all they want.

After seeing your pics, that's certainly understandable.

we let some go
one year to seed,
and now we must
weed, weed, weed.

they have pretty tenacious
roots.

[...]

heh, it depends upon if you
have local ordinances and
pesky neighbors (or in her
case we suspected her ex).

they wouldn't know what to do with my red patch.

Those look like pinks; is that what they are?

they are commonly called Flashing Lights,
a small perennial carnation. there are some
pinks mixed in there (but those are biannual
and bigger leaved/taller plants). the flowers
look almost identical other than the color.

i like them as a ground cover, but they
are not nitrogen fixers, the soil is poorer
there now under monoculture, so i am
going to add some legumes to it and see
how that goes as a mixed community.

songbird

Old 14-06-2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

I let one mullein self seed just because I like the old fashion history
it projects. Got just one Russian Broad Leaf Comfey as a reminder of
the chickens we had. Could turn either into many via seed or root
cuttings. Then again I got some hops I can't kill which might be just
one monster vine. Have anything about you sentimental about?

Here we planted violets once (30 years ago), and once only. Now they
form a carpet along the walkways and stairs, under the trees. Foxglove,
nasturtiums, Lychnis coronaria, naked ladies, red valerian, Epilobium
parviflorum, Prunella vulgaris, dandiloins, large leafed mustard, and of
course pepper mint, and spear mint, all grow wild in our yard, and for
the most part, are encouraged.
--
- Billy
Old 15-06-2010, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cleome, peonies, daylilies, daffys, tulips, muscari, lilies, dahlias,
marigolds

What gets axed immed: sweet peas

Old 15-06-2010, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
I let one mullein self seed just because I like the old fashion history
it projects. Got just one Russian Broad Leaf Comfey as a reminder of
the chickens we had. Could turn either into many via seed or root
cuttings. Then again I got some hops I can't kill which might be just
one monster vine. Have anything about you sentimental about?

I stopped clearing the abandoned alley that is technically mostly on the
neighbors property, although I maintain it.

The trees I've been cutting back turned out to include a mulberry and
a walnut. Who knew, until they grew large enough to set fruit.

Jeff

Old 16-06-2010, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

The trees I've been cutting back turned out to include a mulberry and
a walnut. Who knew, until they grew large enough to set fruit.

Jeff

Ah Mulberry seems about 50 years ago me and my buddies found a heavily
fruited tree. We ate our fill and were happy till someone notice a worm
in a fruit. Then further investigation proved they all were Wormy.

Yucky in the top ten of my youth yucks.