Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default 85 year old reflects on Daisy Picking

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
songbird wrote:
Dan L. wrote:
I filled for my retirement last month. My last day at work is August
31. Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!
I am 52 years old and decrepit. Just me, my dog and a few chickens.
And of course my gardens to tend! Ah yes the hermits life at last

good luck these
next few months Dan.

I plan on increasing my knowledge of particle physics and tensor
calculus during the winter. Increase my knowledge of biology and
gardening in the summer. This will be all self taught at my own pace.

you play billiards? i love it like this too, i'm
finally learning guitar and how to read music
and all that music theory. it sinks in slowly,
i have a wood head, but i am on my third
year of fumbling along and i make mostly
agreeable noises so i'm allowed to continue.

this reminds me of what it used to be like
when i was a kid. go outside and play all
day, mess around in the mud and water,
read 2 brown paper grocery bags every
few weeks. etc.

I am more of the scientific type than the artistic type.

Ahhh the good life begins, I now have time to this

yay!

Oh yes, Cooking will be year round. I find I like the culinary
textbooks more enjoyable over the regular recipe cook books.

Cook's Illustrated is good like that,
check it out at the library. also there
are several good science of cooking
type books that are interesting in their
own right along with microbiology
books that get into things like spoiling,
molds, cheese making, fermentations,
pickling, acetic acid, etc. all very
interesting to those who are into the
biological processes going on all over
the place. did i say anything about
canning and preserving? many
good works there too.

I do record the TV shows to "Cook's Country Kitchen", "Primal Grill",
"Good Eats", "Simply Ming", Mexican One Plate" along with "Garden by the
Yard", "P. Allen Smith", "Victory Garden" and "Cultivating Life". I have
been recording these show for 5 years. Eleven hours of shows each week
on a single DVD. I watch them during my lunch break on my laptop at
work. I have hundreds of these disk in a single shoebox. I rarely watch
TV at home. Now I can go through them and try out more of the meals at a
slower pace.

My latest Purchased books on food a
Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses, ISBN-10: 1580174647
and The Home Creamery: ISBN-10: 1603420312
Since I now have a calf named Bess.
It will be another year before I get into making my own dairy products.

I like this book allot, local store, an out of print book called,:
Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed*, ISBN: 978-0-688-10229-6
by Shirley O Corriher. This is a book on the science of cooking.

my tough line of reading list for the
winter is going to be a chemistry/
organic chemistry review... i had
chemistry in high school, but didn't
need it for college so now i need
to backtrack and pick it up again.

I had three courses in Chemistry. Chemistry is a memory game that I
never did well. I like the worlds of Computers, Physics and Math which
are rule based games. Those areas of study have fewer rules to remember.
Just learn the different ways to manipulate the rules.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L. wrote:
songbird wrote:
Dan L. wrote:

[...]

Ma watches them from time to time,
America's Test Kitchen is my favorite when
i convince myself that i must watch tv.

My latest Purchased books on food a
Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses, ISBN-10:
1580174647 and The Home Creamery: ISBN-10: 1603420312
Since I now have a calf named Bess.
It will be another year before I get into making my own dairy
products.

that sounds wonderful and i'm sure there
will be plenty of adventures with Bess.

I like this book allot, local store, an out of print book called,:
Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed , ISBN: 978-0-688-10229-6
by Shirley O Corriher. This is a book on the science of cooking.

good to note. thanks!

songbird
Old 24-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Registered User

I plan on accretion my ability of atom physics and tensor calculus during the winter. Increase my ability of analysis and gardening in the summer. This will be all cocky accomplished at my own pace.
Hydroponics Fans