Old 13-07-2010, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Zingiber Officinale Seeds (Ginger)

"Boron Elgar" schreef in bericht
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:39:13 +0200, "Alex"
wrote:

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

Commercial growing is often done from clones and if you want to go
into it commercially, you have a lot of information you need to gather
ahead of time.

I have seen such clones work done with orchids (had a friend in the
biz), but not with ginger and cannot say how simple or complicated it
is, although I do believe it'd be similarly done.

Perhaps a search on cloned ginger will get you started on information.
http://www.actahort.org/members/show...knrarnr=629_59

Boron

It would be really easy (and cheap) to have seed, so it could be
broadcast. Sowing rootstock you need to buy rootstock (expensive)
and use a potato planter (and harvester) - more investment.

Alex

Old 13-07-2010, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 04:38:54 +0200, "Alex"
wrote:

"Boron Elgar" schreef in bericht
.. .
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:39:13 +0200, "Alex"
wrote:

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

[...]

As I said, if you have intentions of doing this as a business, it pays
to investigate the most cost effective means of production. Commercial
production is not done from broadcast seed. In fact, if you read up on
its production, you will see the term "seed" used, but it refers to
rhizomes.

Seed may be cheap (assuming you can find it or product it yourself).
Broadcast may be cheap. Getting a crop that is worthy of a harvest,
however, may be better undertaken with the more usual production
procedures.

This is a plant that is in wide production in many countries. Feel
free to re-create the wheel at any time. Write it up and let folks
know you have a better method.

Boron