Old 13-07-2010, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default MOLES

I have a mole invasion in my veggie garden... bought four Solar Sonic
Spikes at Lowes... anyone have any experience with these:
http://www.wrsweeney.com/mole_gopher...t=solar_spikes
Old 13-07-2010, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

I have a mole invasion in my veggie garden... bought four Solar Sonic
Spikes at Lowes... anyone have any experience with these:
http://www.wrsweeney.com/mole_gopher...t=solar_spikes

I've got 4 of them too. Three resting in the garage for the last few
years. They may provide some deterrence but here in sandy loam I guess
a four or five square area is protected. Moles/voles hurt my hosta's
under the snows last winter. I like to hear the whine of motor come on
as it makes me feel good but I may be fooling myself.
Got two cats, milky spore and Bonide MOLEMAX main ingredient castor
oil. Castor oil plants add a tropical touch and I may grow them again.
Also have a spurge plant that is said to deter the suckers. One cat by
the way is a stray that I feed each morning but won't come near me but
it is a mousier.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ephla.htm

Self seeds slowly and be sure avoid the sap as it is similar to Rue.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 13-07-2010, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:58:00 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

Yes, the packaging says the spikes don't work as well with sandy/dry
soil. My soil is rich loam and is typically moist even during dry
periods. I poked two in yesterday and am now waiting to see results,
I'll know if my plants stop being eaten. The directions say it can
take one or two weeks for results. I don't have any outdoor cats, I
have five but they never go out... I think the mole population here is
too great and spread over too much area for a cat or two to have any
effect. And I don't want to put out poison. From the reviews I read
some said they don't work at all and some say they had great results.
I'm hoping.
Old 13-07-2010, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:

I have a mole invasion in my veggie garden... bought four Solar Sonic
Spikes at Lowes... anyone have any experience with these:
http://www.wrsweeney.com/mole_gopher...t=solar_spikes

i have never used them, i find
the Nash choker loop type trap
works well when set correctly.

everything else over the years
has been a huge waste of money
and time (let see: drowning, moth
balls, gassing, bubble gum, spiky
traps, worm bait poison, flowers
that rotate and rattle (vibration
was supposed to deter), grub
killer, stomping, cats, dogs, ...).

once you know a regular tunnel
they run through it takes a few hours
to a day before they are caught most
of the time.

good luck,

songbird

Old 13-07-2010, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

I just read an article that garlic will do the trick. Find
the
mole's holes and stick garlic into all that you find. I
can't say
exactly how this works but according to the article, it does
the trick.

Donna
in WA

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM