Old 16-07-2010, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default New Tree Pictures

Crew arrives with equipment and trees:
http://i28.tinypic.com/f0bwgi.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/3096gd0.jpg

Sure beats hand digging:
http://i29.tinypic.com/b6zggj.jpg

Flowering horse chestnut, my water hauler:
http://i27.tinypic.com/takegy.jpg

Sugar maple:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2mpeff7.jpg

Elm, very graceful:
http://i27.tinypic.com/5x3fop.jpg

Colorado blue spruce, after my hawthorne:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2yla5c4.jpg

"Fat Albert" Colorado blue spruce:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2wlynnc.jpg

The "Crimson King" Norway maple I planted seven years ago to replace
the one I had removed:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2ntl20m.jpg

I got shanghied (volunteered) to play Gunga Din. I hauled 20 gallons
for each tree. In this heat with no rain the ground is bone dry. Now
I'm hoping for a good long drenching rain, otherwise I'll be hauling
more water. The sky looks very threatening here but there are no
gaurantees with weather. I'm very pleased with how everything
turned out... there is really no way to know how new trees will look
in the landscape until they're actually in the ground, I think they
look great. Now they need to grow.

Old 17-07-2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 4:40*pm, brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Nice pictures.
Did I note some off property trees fenced for deer? If they are a
problem you may want to fence the new deciduous trees. I've seen
trees this size in a part of reforested park torn up by deer.
Old 17-07-2010, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:57:53 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

[...]

Those are out in my wildflower meadow, two dawn redwood and one
yellowwood... those branches are still too low.

The deer are another reason I buy larger trees, they don't bother what
they can't reach. Of course with deer there are no gaurantees but
there is plenty growing here for them to forage and the hay farmers
always leave plenty of bales in the fields.

My fruit trees are still fenced, probably two more years before
they're large enough to remove the fences.

Two plum, two apple:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2hr0mmp.jpg

Oh, and my copper beech is still fenced, I removed the fence from that
ginko this year:
http://i28.tinypic.com/160x5sj.jpg