Old 24-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Registered User

Default Newbie question, can anyone Identify this plant?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie not only to this forum, but the whole gardening thing. ;-)

I've just returned home after a day out a the RHS gardens at Wisley.
Whilst there I saw a plant which I would very much like to know the name of.
I read the adjacent label to the plant, but this was obviously the wrong label!!

So please can anyone tell what this is :
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie question, can anyone Identify this plant?-dsc_0062.jpg
Old 24-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbed666 View Post
Hi All,

I'm a newbie not only to this forum, but the whole gardening thing. ;-)

I've just returned home after a day out a the RHS gardens at Wisley.
Whilst there I saw a plant which I would very much like to know the name of.
I read the adjacent label to the plant, but this was obviously the wrong label!!

So please can anyone tell what this is :
Were the bracts white?

If so my guess is Eryngium giganteum 'Mrs Wilmott's Ghost' or Eryngium giganteum 'Silver Ghost'

It's a biennial (often taking three years to flower.) Once it is established it seeds itself everywhere, often in the cracks of paving.

Not difficult to establish from small plants. Best to buy seedlings and wait a while for the first flowers. I remember buying my first ones from the shop at Great Dixter.
Old 24-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Were the bracts white?

If so my guess is Eryngium giganteum 'Mrs Wilmott's Ghost' or Eryngium giganteum 'Silver Ghost'

It's a biennial (often taking three years to flower.) Once it is established it seeds itself everywhere, often in the cracks of paving.

Not difficult to establish from small plants. Best to buy seedlings and wait a while for the first flowers. I remember buying my first ones from the shop at Great Dixter.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes! That's the one!! :-)

BR

Rob