Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered User

Default My lopsided apple tree

the main stem of my apple tree looks dead but is still growing from a huge branch on the side. I get loads of apples from it but it's practically hanging on the floor and looks a mess. Should I try to prop up these side growing branches or should I prune it all back in autumn.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

We lost a good portion of our Granny Smith tree to a hard freeze when it was
only a few years old. The roots and trunk were fine, and still supported a
large branch that somehow survived the freeze...repeated prunings over the
years have encouraged enough growth from the trunk that it now doesn't show
any signs of ever being so "lop sided". It's 22 years old and looks like
any other healthy apple tree now. We're getting a bumper crop of apples
this year too.

Sharon

--
heather001

Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
heather001 wrote:

it's
practically hanging on the floor

First things first! The tree must be moved out of the house and into
the yard in order to receive adequate sunlight