Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

WTF happened to that company anyway? Did the entire executive staff start
mainlining heroin or something? One day, they have actual tools and the
next, they'll selling useless decorative crap.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-07-1...h-hawken-scott
s-miracle-gro-hawken-garden

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations (JoeSpareBedroom)

"EVP MAN" wrote:

I just ordered a Roth hori hori in stainless steel.
It's nice to have one tool that can do many tasks and do them well.
Sure saves a lot of trips to the shed

You wouldn't need to make a lot of trips to the shed if you kept all
your small tools in a 5 gallon contractor's bucket... with the lid on
it even doubles as a sturdy gardening seat.... also a good tote for
tossing all those stones and weeds you never come back for.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

"EVP MAN" wrote:

I just ordered a Roth hori hori in stainless steel.
It's nice to have one tool that can do many tasks and do them well.
Sure saves a lot of trips to the shed

You wouldn't need to make a lot of trips to the shed if you kept all
your small tools in a 5 gallon contractor's bucket... with the lid on
it even doubles as a sturdy gardening seat.... also a good tote for
tossing all those stones and weeds you never come back for.

I use a mounted large rural mailbox.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"RPS" wrote

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,

http://www.leevalley.com/Default.aspx

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden
Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:55:23 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

"EVP MAN" wrote:

I just ordered a Roth hori hori in stainless steel.
It's nice to have one tool that can do many tasks and do them well.
Sure saves a lot of trips to the shed

You wouldn't need to make a lot of trips to the shed if you kept all
your small tools in a 5 gallon contractor's bucket... with the lid on
it even doubles as a sturdy gardening seat.... also a good tote for
tossing all those stones and weeds you never come back for.

I use a mounted large rural mailbox.

I have that too, it's handy inside a veggie garden but it's not
mobile, it's more like a mini tool shed. When I know I'll be walking
about from area to area I gather up what tools I think I may need and
grab a bucket... it's better to tote a few extra tools I'll not use
than to walk all the way back for one item. Any lightweight plastic
tool box works but I've found the contractor's bucket works best;
they're cheap (usually free), strong, and plenty large enough for all
sorts of toting, even soil or water. And one of its best uses is when
you're out working up a sweat and you just need to sit under a tree
for a few minutes.

Old 13-08-2010, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/11/10 5:04 PM, in article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 8/11/10 12:42 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RPS" wrote in message
I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

I've always found Fiskar pruning shears work more smoothly than any other
brand. Definitely worth the money.

This tool won't make sense until you own one:
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/horihoriknife.html

It's absolutely the single most useful garden tool I've ever owned. Mine's
25 years old. Great for digging, weeding, and the serrated edge can cut
through thick roots underground. I've never sharpened mine. There's no need
to. It's the shape of the thing that makes it so functional.

That's not the only source for these knives. Search on eBay using some or
all of the words "japanese hori hori weeder knife" and you may find it a
little cheaper.

Incidentally, from a distance, the knife looks ominous when held in the
hand. I believe it may have been a handy visual aid when I needed to educate
moron dog owners who didn't understand the words "not here, please". A pitch
fork is better for this purpose, but you can't carry one on your belt.

Instead of spending $34 plus shipping, I use a plain paring knife that I
bought at the local supermarket for less than $10. Before buying it, I
checked (1) that the blade is quite stiff and (2) that the tang of the
blade extends the length of the handle. This serves quite well for
weeding and edging the lawn. I do sharpen it with a whetstone when I
use it for making cuttings of perennials and shrubs.

And speaking of "on the cheap", I go to the local dollar store and get steak
knives. Look for the full tang, a fairly stiff blade and deep serrations.
Divides over grown clumps, cuts roots and patches of lawn. Also handy for
slug and hornworm killing!

Cheryl

Old 22-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered User

Well dude there are many places where u can buy the garden tools but make sure u find the cheap ones in a good place.
I think u can try ebay to buy these stuffs