Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
RPS RPS is offline

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , RPS
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Nothing wrong with starting out with tools that you will have to
replace latter. I favor Japanese hand tools for esthetics and comfort.
Mine have square wooden heads not round (boasting).

That said http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/index.aspx has
many options I went with the gone Smith& Hawkins that carried Bulldog
tools. As you can see it is a jungle out here.

Sometimes if lucky in a public garden or nursery you can find some
codgers that love speaking and sharing gardening lore without commercial
interests just know by experience and for some reason ant to share it.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"RPS" wrote in message
I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

I've always found Fiskar pruning shears work more smoothly than any other
brand. Definitely worth the money.

This tool won't make sense until you own one:
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/horihoriknife.html

It's absolutely the single most useful garden tool I've ever owned. Mine's
25 years old. Great for digging, weeding, and the serrated edge can cut
through thick roots underground. I've never sharpened mine. There's no need
to. It's the shape of the thing that makes it so functional.

That's not the only source for these knives. Search on eBay using some or
all of the words "japanese hori hori weeder knife" and you may find it a
little cheaper.

Incidentally, from a distance, the knife looks ominous when held in the
hand. I believe it may have been a handy visual aid when I needed to educate
moron dog owners who didn't understand the words "not here, please". A pitch
fork is better for this purpose, but you can't carry one on your belt.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/11/10 12:42 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RPS" wrote in message
[...]

Instead of spending $34 plus shipping, I use a plain paring knife that I
bought at the local supermarket for less than $10. Before buying it, I
checked (1) that the blade is quite stiff and (2) that the tang of the
blade extends the length of the handle. This serves quite well for
weeding and edging the lawn. I do sharpen it with a whetstone when I
use it for making cuttings of perennials and shrubs.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

.. .
"RPS" wrote in message
[...]

How long is the blade of that paring knife?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/11/10 10:48 AM, RPS wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/tools.html. My page does not
recommend brands or sources, but it does describe what characteristics
you might want in some tools.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

RPS wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Re trowel and cultivator I have some that are cast aluminium all through
with a polymer grip. They are very solid, polished and comfortable. These
will not break with sensible use and above all will not rust. They were
cheap about AU$6 each. I have given up on the pressed mild steel with a
coat of paint type that bend and rust. With something like this brand is
not important as you can see what you are getting. I may have to replace
the grip in some years time - nothing is perfect.

David

Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

If you want a good hoe, here it is http://www.prohoe.com/
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

I was going to mention Lee Valley also.
If something is priced quite cheap - they will state
"good value for the money" - but they wouldn't sell you
a useless piece of junk - by saying that.
I love getting their catalogs - artwork photos on the cover -
& interesting things inside. ... which reminds me - I haven't got a
catalog lately - time to place an order !
ps : some of their high-end stuff is quite pricey - hand it down to
your grandkids ...
John T.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have tried a variety of tools over time, so here's a few nuggets -
If you are not of "average" size, I recommend that you handle the
tools at the store a bit before buying - you will get a feel for how a
tool works with your body size. I know, because I am short and have
small hands, so I have to do this all the time. Then I'll go see if I
can get it cheaper on-line.

One tool I highly recommend is what is called a short or small shovel
- looks like a shovel for a dwarf, but is as sturdy as a regular
shovel. They are great for when you need a shovel, are down on your
knees beside the bed, and using a regular shovel won't do the job as
the handle will be too long for leverage (trust me, you will be in
this position routinely). I got one as a gift about 6 or 7 years ago,
and have really appreciated it.

Another tool - long handled by-pass loppers - they will be very handy
reaching up high, getting into the middle of bushes, and can cut
larger branches that regular pruners. Mine are made by Fiskar.

This should get you started

Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations (JoeSpareBedroom)

I just ordered a Roth hori hori in stainless steel. Looks like a great
multi purpose tool for any home gardener to have around. Also looks
very well made and should last many years. It's nice to have one tool
that can do many tasks and do them well. Sure saves a lot of trips to
the shed Thank you so much for bringing this tool to my attention as
I have never heard of it before.

Rich

Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"RPS" wrote in message
[...]

In that case, you're comparing apples with space shuttles. Stop being silly.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

I just ordered a Roth hori hori in stainless steel. Looks like a great
multi purpose tool for any home gardener to have around. Also looks
very well made and should last many years. It's nice to have one tool
that can do many tasks and do them well. Sure saves a lot of trips to
the shed Thank you so much for bringing this tool to my attention as
I have never heard of it before.

Rich

The only problem I can foresee with stainless steel is that it'll be TOO
attractive to creatures who love shiny things and never put tools back where
they belong.

Hide it from your wife, in other words.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article , RPS
wrote:

[...]

I think it's cruel to tease people by mentioning tools they cannot buy any
more, like Smith & Hawken. But it's a fun kinda cruelty. :-)

WTF happened to that company anyway? Did the entire executive staff start
mainlining heroin or something? One day, they have actual tools and the
next, they'll selling useless decorative crap.