Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-08-2010, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Annual Ryegrass

I have a vacation cabin in the mountains of NC, at 4200 feet elevation.

In early June, I planted annual ryegrass, in a partly shaded area. It came
up in about 15-20 days, and was *real* thick and green.

We then left the mountain and returned in early August. The ryegrass was
all gone !!

Why didn't the grass last all summer? Did it have enough sunlight to
germinate, but then die back because of too much shade ?

There was a drought of several weeks in early July, but that was after the
seed had germinated, and looked good.

What is the most likely reason the ryegrass was strong and thick in early
June, but totally gone by early August ?

Thanks !!

James

[IMG] code is On

Green manure-Ryecorn or Italian Ryegrass michael United Kingdom 14 19-01-2014 05:02 PM
any way to get rid of perennial ryegrass in front lawn? Ohioguy Gardening 2 21-04-2013 01:08 AM
Fwd: Annual Ryegrass Frank Gardening 3 22-08-2010 02:39 PM
Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch? Henry Cate Edible Gardening 9 22-11-2003 03:22 PM
RSBCOS Annual Auction profpam Orchids 0 03-02-2003 08:17 PM