Old 30-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Jan Flora

Default Rain barrels (was NO TIME FOR poor quality tools)

In article , Dwight Sipler
wrote:

animaux wrote:

...Or, get a rain barrel under each downspout....
... With as little as 1/4 inch of rain, our five, 75 gallon
barrels fill to the top. Our neighboring city buys them from the same

supplier
as Garden Supply Catalog, and resells them at a great loss for 45

dollars. I
believe they run 140 dollars in the catalog. Maybe your city has a water
collection system in place, too...

Unless you particularly want the green barrels, you can get plastic 55
gallon barrels for much less if you look around. Various types of food
products are shipped in such containers. They don't have installed
plumbing, but for about $20 each you can afford to put some sort of
plumbing into them. The only other problem is that they're white, and
stand out against foliage unless you put a fence or hedge around them.

I got a couple from my local greenhouse supplier. $15 a couple years
ago.

The food grade poly drums we get up here in Alaska are all blue and cost
about $15 each, if anything.

Jan
Old 30-04-2003, 08:44 PM
animaux

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:00:29 -0400, Dwight Sipler
wrote:

Unless you particularly want the green barrels, you can get plastic 55
gallon barrels for much less if you look around. Various types of food
products are shipped in such containers. They don't have installed
plumbing, but for about $20 each you can afford to put some sort of
plumbing into them. The only other problem is that they're white, and
stand out against foliage unless you put a fence or hedge around them.

I got a couple from my local greenhouse supplier. $15 a couple years
ago.

True. I like the ones I have simply because everything was assembled with the
spigot and hose, and overflow mechanism in place to hook more than one together.
I know it's less money the way you suggest, but in the long run the complaining
my husband would do to assemble using plumbing parts would drive me crazy.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Tallgrass

charles krin wrote in message . ..
other common colors of food grade plastic barrels are royal blue (bulk
olives are often shipped in them) and black...I've been thinking of
getting some of the black ones for compost.

ck
country doc in louisiana
(no fancy sayings right now)

Posed to the group, not just ck...how does one get the lids off these
suckers, still preserving function of the lids??

I know my circular saw is good at getting them off, but they don't
work 'too good' after being hacked up!!