Old 25-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Dwight Sipler

Default poor quality tools

paghat wrote:

... And such UGLY tools with garish yellow or
orange handles...

In general I agree about the quality of current tools. However, for
those of us who are relatively careless about our tools, those garish
orange handles do stand out amid the foliage when we lay it down
somewhere in the garden and walk off to do something else and come
looking for it an hour later. The bright colors serve a function.

Some cheap tools are cost effective. I am death on shovels (or shovel
handles, anyway), so I generally buy the $7 versions. One time I bought
a $30 shovel, fiberglass handle, etc. The fiberglass didn't hold up well
in the sun and after a couple of winters it was all split and hard to
hold. It lasted less time than the wooden handled $7 versions. PS: I
paint the shovel handles bright red so I can find them. Adds another
dollar to the cost (the paint wears off and has to be renewed
occasionally). The red handled shovel makes a good marker to let me know
where I left off working in a row. I can see it 400' away.

To avoid the cheaply made junk I try to buy from displays rather than
mail order or online. That way I can evaluate the quality at purchase
time. You have to invest the time to get the quality.
Old 25-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Michael

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
paghat wrote:

[...]

I keep two sets of tools. One set for me and the other for the wifie and
kids. Mine are cleaned after each use, kept in the shop, sharpened each
winter and oiled for winter storage. I still use my grandfather's long
handled hoe. My sharpshooter shovel is older than me. I bought my manure
fork used when I was in high school

Theirs are fiberglass handled, spray painted orange, kept where ever they
were last used, rained on, rusty and luckily almost indestructible. Give my
wife a wooden handled tool and it will be useless in two seasons. Her set
of orange uglies is about eight or so years old and going strong.

Keeps the house a little calmer.

Old 25-04-2003, 06:08 PM
paghat

In article , Dwight Sipler
wrote:

paghat wrote:

... And such UGLY tools with garish yellow or
orange handles...

In general I agree about the quality of current tools. However, for
those of us who are relatively careless about our tools, those garish
orange handles do stand out amid the foliage when we lay it down
somewhere in the garden and walk off to do something else and come
looking for it an hour later. The bright colors serve a function.

I'm sure that's the second reasoning behind the horrid colors (the first
reasoning is manufacturers believe people will buy even something they
don't need if it is garish enough to get the attention). But my sentiment
is that if tools are left out in the yard, they oughtn't be eyesoars; they
COULD be decorative in & of themselves. I have a "tool tree" in the
garden from which I can hang a shovel & rake, it's surprisingly
attractive. And one of our porch-arbors (made of alder trunks & branches)
is habitually ornamented with a couple of hanging trowels. If a tool is
attractive it can look charming when left in the garden, whether by
accident or on purpose.

The Japanese sawing & pruning tools would rust so have to be brought in &
very carefully cared for. But some stuff is either stainless steel, or is
vintage & already rust-covered, & I don't need to be kept sharp anyway,
so can be left out. Used to drive Granny Artemis a little crazy that I
liked to hang rusty tools in the garden, because she feels they're rusting
away before our very eyes, but now if we're visiting some junkstore in the
hinterland & she sees some pretty but probably duplicate vintage tool, she
exclaims, "That'd look good on the tool tree!" & she even mounted some
antique iron stove parts on the outer garage wall amidst vines for no
other reason than oddly shaped rusty stuff is pretty.

-paghat the ratgirl

Some cheap tools are cost effective. I am death on shovels (or shovel
handles, anyway), so I generally buy the $7 versions. One time I bought
a $30 shovel, fiberglass handle, etc. The fiberglass didn't hold up well
in the sun and after a couple of winters it was all split and hard to
hold. It lasted less time than the wooden handled $7 versions. PS: I
paint the shovel handles bright red so I can find them. Adds another
dollar to the cost (the paint wears off and has to be renewed
occasionally). The red handled shovel makes a good marker to let me know
where I left off working in a row. I can see it 400' away.

To avoid the cheaply made junk I try to buy from displays rather than
mail order or online. That way I can evaluate the quality at purchase
time. You have to invest the time to get the quality.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Dwight Sipler

paghat wrote:

In article , Dwight Sipler
wrote:

... The bright colors serve a function...

I'm sure that's the second reasoning behind the horrid colors...

We seem to have somewhat different tolerance for loud colors. I must
admit that I don't really mind the colored tool handles and I rather
prefer primary colors to pastels. Probably because I'm male.

... I have a "tool tree" in the
garden from which I can hang a shovel & rake, it's surprisingly
attractive. And one of our porch-arbors (made of alder trunks & branches)
is habitually ornamented with a couple of hanging trowels. If a tool is
attractive it can look charming when left in the garden, whether by
accident or on purpose...

Sounds interesting (and useful). Is there a picture on your website? Is
it something you bought or built?

...even mounted some
antique iron stove parts on the outer garage wall amidst vines for no
other reason than oddly shaped rusty stuff is pretty...

I have lots of rusty stuff and it looks good to me. Not all mounted
neatly on a wall, however.
Old 25-04-2003, 08:44 PM
animaux

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:07:24 -0400, Dwight Sipler
wrote:

We seem to have somewhat different tolerance for loud colors. I must
admit that I don't really mind the colored tool handles and I rather
prefer primary colors to pastels. Probably because I'm male.

I'm female and I appreciate the colors for the same reason you do. They are
easier to spot in a large garden. We garden on half acre and it has many beds,
a border 100 feet long 25 feet wide and that's just the back. I don't decorate
my yard or garden with tools unless they are old ones and rusted and look like
they belong. It's definitely not a male thing. I really dislike pastels and
always prefer darker colors. Not one wall in our home is white or any form of a
pastel.

Victoria