Old 22-09-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weed problem

I have what I call a cocklebur. It looks like a tiny star explosion about
1/4" in diameter, and has porcupine spines that stick and burn. The poor
pooch came in this morning with about twenty in her long fur. So, we had
fun getting them out.

I'm going out today (I have two acres) and find them and dig them up. I am
reluctant to use Roundup because the dogs run all over, and we just lost a
pussycat of Lab last Nov. to cancer, so want to go easy on the poisons.

Anyone know what this is? It grows on grassy stalks that have long green
and purple stalks and leaves.

Steve

Old 22-09-2010, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I have what I call a cocklebur. It looks like a tiny star explosion about
1/4" in diameter, and has porcupine spines that stick and burn. The poor
pooch came in this morning with about twenty in her long fur. So, we had
fun getting them out.

I'm going out today (I have two acres) and find them and dig them up. I am
reluctant to use Roundup because the dogs run all over, and we just lost a
pussycat of Lab last Nov. to cancer, so want to go easy on the poisons.

Anyone know what this is? It grows on grassy stalks that have long green
and purple stalks and leaves.

Steve

http://www.google.com/search?q=burrs...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Looks like many options. Luckily we don't have them about but I don't
want to gloat as the weed may appear next spring. NASTY.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Old 22-09-2010, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:33:01 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I have what I call a cocklebur. It looks like a tiny star explosion about
1/4" in diameter, and has porcupine spines that stick and burn. The poor
pooch came in this morning with about twenty in her long fur. So, we had
fun getting them out.

I'm going out today (I have two acres) and find them and dig them up. I am
reluctant to use Roundup because the dogs run all over, and we just lost a
pussycat of Lab last Nov. to cancer, so want to go easy on the poisons.

Anyone know what this is? It grows on grassy stalks that have long green
and purple stalks and leaves.

Steve

http://www.google.com/search?q=burrs...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Looks like many options. Luckily we don't have them about but I don't
want to gloat as the weed may appear next spring. NASTY.

Burs are beautiful plants and their deep roots are good for the soil.
They typically grow singularly or in small groupings, their flowers
are gorgeous and conspicuous making the plant easy to avoid.

waynesword.palomar.edu/plapr98.htm

Old 22-09-2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:33:01 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Here's some pics of the beautiful, conspicuous and gorgeous plant. Are we
talking about the same thing here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Old 22-09-2010, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Steve B" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:33:01 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

A different solution... of sorts. I have a little yorkie that loves the
outside hunting for rodents. He often comes back with cockleburs and
other sticky weed seeds on him. Some times he comeback with a mouse. My
yorkie grows hair faster than my own. During the summer the little dog
keeps a summer short haircut no longer than 1/4 inch..

Long hair dogs tend to suffer more in the summer than short hairs. Short
hair makes it much much much easier to keep the dog clean. During the
fall and winter the I let the dogs hair grow to floor. I just do the
"Feet, Face and Fanny" during the winter.

Again a different solution of sorts.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Old 22-09-2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

Here's some pics of the beautiful, conspicuous and gorgeous plant. Are we
talking about the same thing here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I've always called those sandburs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenchrus