Old 29-10-2010, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Taste of Fall

Taste of Fall in the Catskills

Red Maple
http://i55.tinypic.com/20pttmf.jpg

Birch, Maple, Spruce:
http://i53.tinypic.com/dxxqiw.jpg

Maple:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d9ei5h.jpg

Ornamental Pear
http://i52.tinypic.com/1opvn5.jpg

Birch:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2euil9f.jpg

Assorted including young Planetrees:
http://i54.tinypic.com/rsbmzt.jpg

Maples:
http://i56.tinypic.com/jhyp09.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/ei6pmx.jpg

Kentucky Coffee Tree:
http://i51.tinypic.com/x0ns5h.jpg

The kids, Jilly & Blackie:
http://i53.tinypic.com/i4k37c.jpg

Let it snow:
http://i53.tinypic.com/5pjyf8.jpg

---
Old 29-10-2010, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Taste of Fall in the Catskills

Red Maple
http://i55.tinypic.com/20pttmf.jpg

Birch, Maple, Spruce:
http://i53.tinypic.com/dxxqiw.jpg

Maple:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d9ei5h.jpg

Ornamental Pear
http://i52.tinypic.com/1opvn5.jpg

Birch:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2euil9f.jpg

Assorted including young Planetrees:
http://i54.tinypic.com/rsbmzt.jpg

Maples:
http://i56.tinypic.com/jhyp09.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/ei6pmx.jpg

Kentucky Coffee Tree:
http://i51.tinypic.com/x0ns5h.jpg

The kids, Jilly & Blackie:
http://i53.tinypic.com/i4k37c.jpg

Let it snow:
http://i53.tinypic.com/5pjyf8.jpg

---

very nice

David
Old 29-10-2010, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:06:14 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Taste of Fall in the Catskills

Red Maple
http://i55.tinypic.com/20pttmf.jpg

Birch, Maple, Spruce:
http://i53.tinypic.com/dxxqiw.jpg

Maple:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d9ei5h.jpg

Ornamental Pear
http://i52.tinypic.com/1opvn5.jpg

Birch:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2euil9f.jpg

Assorted including young Planetrees:
http://i54.tinypic.com/rsbmzt.jpg

Maples:
http://i56.tinypic.com/jhyp09.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/ei6pmx.jpg

Kentucky Coffee Tree:
http://i51.tinypic.com/x0ns5h.jpg

The kids, Jilly & Blackie:
http://i53.tinypic.com/i4k37c.jpg

Let it snow:
http://i53.tinypic.com/5pjyf8.jpg

---

very nice

Thank you.
Old 29-10-2010, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Taste of Fall in the Catskills

Red Maple
http://i55.tinypic.com/20pttmf.jpg

Birch, Maple, Spruce:
http://i53.tinypic.com/dxxqiw.jpg

Maple:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d9ei5h.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/1opvn5.jpg

Birch:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2euil9f.jpg

Assorted including young Planetrees:
http://i54.tinypic.com/rsbmzt.jpg

Maples:
http://i56.tinypic.com/jhyp09.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/ei6pmx.jpg

Kentucky Coffee Tree:
http://i51.tinypic.com/x0ns5h.jpg

The kids, Jilly & Blackie:
http://i53.tinypic.com/i4k37c.jpg

Let it snow:
http://i53.tinypic.com/5pjyf8.jpg

---

very nice

Thank you.

Hmmm... I have a few questions:
Does the trunk of the ornamental pear and others seem too tall for the
trunk width?
Do you add fertilizers to the trees? Have you pruned the trees?

I had two maples, I added fertilizers to the maples and they grew fast,
tall and beautiful. I did not prune them and the tops were thick with
leaves. Then one day strong winds cracked the trunks of the six year old
trees. My failure to prune the tops of the trees to help the wind flow
through.

I hope the same does not happen to you.
I am just curious on what care has been done for your trees, if any.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 29-10-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

"David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

The ornamental pear (redspire) was pruned to that height from the
nursery, it seems about right as it's at shoulder height (perfect for
mowing underneath) while the overall height is now about 25'... about
twice the height as when planted seven years ago.

Same pear in blosom this past spring:
http://i51.tinypic.com/15xuyxh.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2mnesy1.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/20qhv0l.jpg
Second redspire pear:
http://i52.tinypic.com/bz98n.jpg

Young trees being more supple don't need much pruning for wind
resistance but still may require some pruning for esthetics and to
remove branches that rub. With older trees I do prune to open the
centers for better air flow and to permit sun to enter. As to
fertilzing I do drive in those spikes for the first couple of years
but once established they're on their own. It's more important to
deeply water newly planted trees being careful not to over water.

Old 29-10-2010, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Dan L wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

"David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I was just curious. With the newer closer photos it does look like air
could flow through easily. Thanks for answering my curiosity. I over did
it with the fertilizers in the past. I have used the spike years ago.
Now I just punch holes around the trees and put compost around them a
couple times a year. I do prune, but not as much as I should. Afraid of
doing more harm than good.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 29-10-2010, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:16:18 +0000 (UTC), Dan L
wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Dan L wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

"David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

You are correct, overfertilizing is more harmful than no fertilizing.
Once established roots will expand to compensate for the tree's
nutritional needs. I operate from the point that fertilizing inhibits
root system maturity. Naturally one should check that the soil is
suitable for the type of tree; ph, drainage, and exposure are much
more important than fertilizing. Trees are very efficient at storing
nutrients.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

I find it hard to keep fruit trees going well without fertilising even
though my soil is quite rich with high CEC. Especially the citrus need to
be fed yearly. But I am not talking about concentrated chemical
fertilisers, if I used those it might last longer. The ornamentals I don't
fertilise although most are natives; acacias, callistemons, eucalypts etc,
which are well adapted to less than wonderful soils.

David

Old 30-10-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Taste of Fall in the Catskills

Red Maple
http://i55.tinypic.com/20pttmf.jpg

Birch, Maple, Spruce:
http://i53.tinypic.com/dxxqiw.jpg

Maple:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d9ei5h.jpg

Ornamental Pear
http://i52.tinypic.com/1opvn5.jpg

Birch:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2euil9f.jpg

Assorted including young Planetrees:
http://i54.tinypic.com/rsbmzt.jpg

Maples:
http://i56.tinypic.com/jhyp09.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/ei6pmx.jpg

Kentucky Coffee Tree:
http://i51.tinypic.com/x0ns5h.jpg

The kids, Jilly & Blackie:
http://i53.tinypic.com/i4k37c.jpg

Let it snow:
http://i53.tinypic.com/5pjyf8.jpg

---

beautiful pictures! the red maple is my fav.
What a wonderful tree.

Donna
in WA 8-9 zone

Old 30-10-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:59:37 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Orchard/grove trees are very different from specimen, ornamentals,
shade trees... that's like comparing annuals to perennials.

Old 30-10-2010, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:50:20 -0700, "Irondale" wrote:

[...]

Thank you. That tree was planted more than 50 years ago.
Here's another view:
http://i51.tinypic.com/15mlo2o.jpg
Old 30-10-2010, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

a polite snip

beautiful pictures! the red maple is my fav.
What a wonderful tree.

Thank you. That tree was planted more than 50 years ago.
Here's another view:
http://i51.tinypic.com/15mlo2o.jpg

Another great picture! Do you prune this tree to keep it
in this shape or is it just Mother Nature showing off?

Donna
in WA zone 8-9
Old 30-10-2010, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:28:18 -0700, "Irondale" wrote:

a polite snip

beautiful pictures! the red maple is my fav.
What a wonderful tree.

Thank you. That tree was planted more than 50 years ago.
Here's another view:
http://i51.tinypic.com/15mlo2o.jpg

Another great picture! Do you prune this tree to keep it
in this shape or is it just Mother Nature showing off?

I trained the deer to be landscapers.... they keep the lower branches
of trees perfecly trimmed... if I could only train them to mow grass
as well. Maybe if I imported some Mexican deer... lol