Old 01-05-2003, 02:56 AM
coastalplainsnowman

Default strange weeds in NE this year?

I've only had a lawn (at least one that wasn't my parents)for a few years
now, so I'm still not sure about what's normal and what's abnormal.
However, it seems like this year I've got an incredible amount of widely
varying weeds for this early in the season. I put down a crabgrass
preventer/fertilizer combo in mid march; maybe the fertilizer has encouraged
the weed growth? I have some strange weeds with small white buds and long,
stems but not so many leaves. My neighbor's got a bit of grass sprouting up
amongst what can best be described as a lawn of African violets which are
attempting to spread onto my lawn now (his lawn has traditionally been
great.). I've got clover where I've never had clover before. And of course
I have dandelions as well.

I would think that I had seeded with a weed seed rather than grass seed last
fall. I did an overseed last fall, but used a standard Scotts seed so I
(naively?) doubt that's the problem. I didn't topdress my lawn with soil,
so that isn't the culprit either.

Normally, my weeds start to get out of control just in time for me to do my
fertilizer/weed control in June, but this year I may have to break out a
weed killing spray earlier.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any advice?

Thanks

I don't know if the unusually cold winter helps or hinders this.

Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 AM
stever

On Thu, 01 May 2003 01:48:56 GMT, "coastalplainsnowman"
wrote:

[...]

weed infestation ebbs and flows on a multi annual basis kinda like
cricket or grasshopper plagues that occur every so often...you may
just be going thru one of those in your area right now....I'm going
thru similar bout this year in Okla. I've stepped up the weed and
feed but the results still aren't as good as they have been in the
past using less herbicide. I've got a nasty wildflower infestation
that treats round up as a nice watering.g