Old 16-12-2010, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bedroom Plants

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
Hi,
I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give
off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?
Thanks
The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be
the
ones growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.
David
Spider plants give off the most oxygen for an indoor plant. Spider
plants have the least problems also. One thing about spider plants,
they can be poisonous to cats.

How do you know this?

It was a discussion in the Master Gardener class on indoor plants.
Instructor talking about spider plants being the best to remove
toxins from the room. Also a side benefit was more oxygen was
produced in the process.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6626617_hig...se-plants.html

Most of the references including this one seem to ultimately stem from
the NASA clean air study which was all about the ability of common house
plants to remove toxins from the environment. It did not measure the
oxygen produced. Your ref mentions "a study in 1985" which I cannot
track down. No doubt general statements that plants do produce an excess
of oxygen in the long term are true. I remain very sceptical that the
amount of oxygen that indoor plants could produce in a normal bedroom
would be discernible or sufficient to be of any benefit.

David.

Hmmm...

The question was not of benefit. Just asked which one produces the highest
oxygen levels. If one does choose an indoor plant, might as well pick a
highly rated one. Also my bedrooms are facing the south with over sized
windows in each room. So the plants get lots of sunlight and under each
window is a heat register. Even if the plants do not have a south facing
window one can use grow lights.

I was also reading years ago about the failures of the bio-dome years ago
about plants and the CO2 levels and the need for scrubbers. The second dome
worked but failed finically and the research was not completed. If long
distance space travel ever becomes reality, plants will be needed for air
quality. I am for more research in this area.

One thing about living in the frozen cold north. One can still garden
indoors.
Seed kits begin in February.

Old 16-12-2010, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
[...]

Seems unlikely. Plants require CO2 to make O2, and presently CO2 is at
about 290 parts per million (ppm) in the atmosphere. Consuming all the
CO2 in a room, wouldn't make a noticeable difference in the O2 level as
every 6 molecules of CO2 gives rise to 6 molecules of O2. If your going
to do the stociometry, don't for get the 6 molecules of H2O and the
molecule of sugar (C6-H12-O6).
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw