Old 30-12-2010, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Seeds

Is there really a difference between Wal mart seeds and Seed company
seeds?
MJ
Old 30-12-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:

Is there really a difference between Wal mart seeds and Seed company
seeds?

Walmart seeds say Packed by Burpee.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'm really not sure if it matters all that much or not as to where you
would get the seeds. I'd look more at what type of tomato I'm trying to
grow for the area I live. I find that some tomatoes do much better in
my garden than others and I start them all from seed indoors six to
eight weeks before I set them out in the garden. I also amend my soil
with a slow release granular fertilizer about two weeks before planting.
Then I push two tomato spikes into the soil for each plant at time of
planting. One tomato that works real well for me here in central
Pennsylvania year after year is Jet Star. I water my plants using city
water which I'm sure is full of chemicals but I never tested the ph of
the water. I give each plant two gallons a week if we don't get rain.
I also plant them very deep when I set them in the garden. Just about
2/3s of the plant or more in the soil. They will develop roots all
along the stem that makes for a good strong root system. I also stake
my plants for support and prune them to one or two main stems. Welcome
to the group, glad you could join us

Happy Gardening ............ Rich from PA

Old 31-12-2010, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Is there really a difference between Wal mart seeds
and Seed company seeds?

Yes.

... but the difference is not in the seed package ..

... when you pose a gardening question to your
Wall-sMart customer service associate -

.... as opposed to your local garden center /
farm supply / feed & seed folks ...

... the difference is very evident.

John T.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 30 2010, 2:02*pm, mj wrote:
Is there really a difference between Wal mart seeds and Seed company
seeds?
MJ

I will not buy seeds from Walmart again. We planted peas, all 60 of
them in the pkg
and only about 5 of them even sprouted. We have used other seeds from
them in the
past and very few germinated.

Your call of course, but I work too hard to prepare the
garden and get things planted to mess with poorly performing products.
We go to an Agway and have all of our seeds produce. Good Luck.
Nanzi

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

There can be, yes. The seed packets have a year marked on them.
WalMart can sell old seed packets if they want, reputable seed
companies that sell through thier internet site or catalog will only
sell fresh seeds. Good seed companies are Select Seeds, Parks Seeds,
Burpee. There are others, these are the ones whose catalogs I've
recieved so far this year.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Is there really a difference between Wal mart seeds and Seed company
seeds?

There can be, yes. The seed packets have a year marked on them.
WalMart can sell old seed packets if they want, reputable seed
companies that sell through thier internet site or catalog will only
sell fresh seeds. Good seed companies are Select Seeds, Parks Seeds,
Burpee. There are others, these are the ones whose catalogs I've
recieved so far this year.

Walmart is not a seed company, in fact Walmart produces nothing, they
sell other company's products under original name or their own label.
Walmart seeds are packaged by Burpee (says Burpee on the package), the
same exact packaging but printed with a lower price... they are in
fact Burpee seeds. I bought some last year and had no problems.
However if one buys end of season seeds (usually marked down
substantially) they may be past their prime, that's true of any
company's seeds. But I've purchsed various end of season seeds as
well as using seeds I've saved for several years and they grow just
fine. When properly storaged seeds can remain viable forever.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered User

Marked on the seed packet for a year to them. Wal-Mart can sell the old seed packets, if they want, a reputable seed companies, through the sale of its Internet site or catalog to sell only fresh seed. Choose a good seed seed companies, seed orchard, Burpee. Also some people, these people are so far this year I received a catalog.
cannabis seeds
Old 10-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered User

I as well alter my soil with a apathetic absolution diminutive fertilizer about two weeks afore planting. Then I advance two amazon spikes into the clay for anniversary bulb at time of planting. One amazon that works absolute able-bodied for me actuality in central Pennsylvania year afterwards year is Jet Star.
Types of Grow Lights