Old 17-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Question What is this wrapping?

When I buy a plug plant, either online or at a garden centre, the roots have a gauze-like material wrapped around the roots. Why is this? Answers would be appreciated, please.
Old 19-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilli99 View Post
When I buy a plug plant, either online or at a garden centre, the roots have a gauze-like material wrapped around the roots. Why is this? Answers would be appreciated, please.
Hi Gilli, I think what your refering to are 'Jiffy 7' growing pots that the producer has used to either take cuttings in or prick out the seeds into. They are small flat compressed discs of compost (bought flat and dry) When spaced out and watered they swell into handy (mesh enclosed) little 'pots' ideal for mass producing plants. you just plant the whole thing and the mesh will eventually rot away. They are available from garden centres and can be very useful as there is no transplanting check.
Lannerman
Old 20-02-2011, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is this wrapping?

--
lannerman

I never use those. Nor do I transplant roses in those supposedly
biodegradable pots. These are basically silly ways to avoid getting
your hands in the dirt. Which is one of the great pleasures of the
REAL gardener. If you're that finicky, get a box of vinyl (not latex;
too fragile) gloves and wear the gloves when transplanting.

For transplanting roses, note that one is supposed to mound up the
earth in the center of the hole and spread the rose's roots around the
mound so the center of the root is supported. How are we supposed to
do that with a pot?

Bah humbug!

HB
Old 21-02-2011, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Feb 19, 12:48 pm,
wrote:
Gilli99;913047 Wrote:

[...]

Reposted as promised.
Old 21-02-2011, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Notat Home wrote:

For transplanting roses, note that one is supposed to mound up the
earth in the center of the hole and spread the rose's roots around the
mound so the center of the root is supported. How are we supposed to
do that with a pot?

That's only for bare root plants, obviously there'd be no pot...
duh... with potted/balled n'burlapped plants roots are best
undisturbed.

Old 24-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Gilli, I think what your refering to are 'Jiffy 7' growing pots that the producer has used to either take cuttings in or prick out the seeds into. They are small flat compressed discs of compost (bought flat and dry) When spaced out and watered they swell into handy (mesh enclosed) little 'pots' ideal for mass producing plants. you just plant the whole thing and the mesh will eventually rot away. They are available from garden centres and can be very useful as there is no transplanting check.
Lannerman
Iannerman,
Thanks for your reply.
However, what you describe is not how the plant is sold. They are in normal 3" plastic pots, in compost. The gauze they are wrapped in doesnt ever rot away. I just wondered what sort of material this is.
A friend who worked at a nursery, was shown how to wrap the plant and its done to stop the perennial from regrowing the following season, so you are forced to buy another, its a common trick apparently. Not all plants are treated this way...depends on the nursery. The stems die and unless the wrapping is removed from the roots, the plant wont regrow.
All the plants where I removed this dressing, have regrown the following season. Now I always check before I buy.

Thank you for all replies to my query.