Old 27-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Registered User

Default Shrubs and horses

We have planted a shrub garden at the local church - a place of contemplation for people who have lost children. Adjacent to the fence bordering is a field used by horses. Unfortunately they lean over and eat the Escallonia I am trying to establish as a hedge. They leave the rambling rose alone and also the hollies, but these plants are not too visitor friendly being adjacent to the path.

Any suggestions for suitable horse resistant shrubs and UK weather?
Old 27-02-2011, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/27/2011 10:15 AM, Begadoc wrote:
We have planted a shrub garden at the local church - a place of
contemplation for people who have lost children. Adjacent to the fence
bordering is a field used by horses. Unfortunately they lean over and
eat the Escallonia I am trying to establish as a hedge. They leave the
rambling rose alone and also the hollies, but these plants are not too
visitor friendly being adjacent to the path.

Any suggestions for suitable horse resistant shrubs and UK weather?

Not horses, but deer around here don't eat my butterfly bushes or
hollies. Suspect they would keep away from things with thorns like
pyracantha. Deer will eat evergreens only when there is a lot of snow
and I doubt if horses would get that hungry.