Old 03-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Mike

Default Re Horses, Horse Manure, Gardens and Gardeners

The thread on Horse manure and Gardeners has brought quite a bit of
response, both from those who would like Horse Manure and those who have it
and would like to get rid of it.

I don't know if it could be done in the respective areas of the readers of
this newsgroups, but I am the Editor of our local newsletter and in the next
Issue, I will invite those with the horses, to put a contact name, address ,
telephone number or email address in whereby those who want the stuff, can
make contact to their 'mutual advantage'. I don't somehow think it will open
the flood gates and I might even be able to get some stuff for our compost
bins. (Temperature 112F today)

Mike

Old 03-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Pam Morris

"Mike" wrote in message
The thread on Horse manure and Gardeners has brought quite a bit of
response, both from those who would like Horse Manure and those who have it
and would like to get rid of it.

I don't know if it could be done in the respective areas of the readers of
this newsgroups, but I am the Editor of our local newsletter and in the next
Issue, I will invite those with the horses, to put a contact name, address ,
telephone number or email address in whereby those who want the stuff, can
make contact to their 'mutual advantage'. I don't somehow think it will open
the flood gates and I might even be able to get some stuff for our compost
bins. (Temperature 112F today)

Mike

A thought for those that have & want to get rid.... every morning I drive
past a gate that often has bags of horse manure piled outside. By the time
I drive past again on my homeward journey the only thing left is the big
sign that says "Horsesh*t - help yourself".

Pam.

Old 03-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Mike

,
telephone number or email address in whereby those who want the stuff, can
make contact to their 'mutual advantage'. I don't somehow think it will

open
the flood gates and I might even be able to get some stuff for our compost
bins. (Temperature 112F today)

Mike

A thought for those that have & want to get rid.... every morning I drive
past a gate that often has bags of horse manure piled outside. By the

time
I drive past again on my homeward journey the only thing left is the big
sign that says "Horsesh*t - help yourself".

Pam.

Fine for those going by, but what about the likes of me for example who
'don't' go by and would like to know where these places are? ;-}

Old 03-09-2003, 07:22 PM
bnd777

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0q3lu.rik3kp1s39b28N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Mike wrote:

[...]

What a joy that'd be if suitable sources are found..

ITs hard to get it at reasonable prices round here. Esp if you wish it
delivered.
//
Jim

I found the same problem so was quite stunned to hear that so many livery
satbles, riding schools , horsey people have to pay to have their pile taken
away
seems many of them simply do not think to put a sign out or put it in bags
so those passing can indeed collect as they need ...........i know one place
where they do this all they ask is you return the bags .......most of us
throw out heavy weight potting compost bags when they could be recycled in
this way

Old 03-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Kate Morgan

snip

seems many of them simply do not think to put a sign out or put it in bags
so those passing can indeed collect as they need ...........i know one place

That works in some places but if you are in a rural area where many
people have horses it does not work. So I continue to pay the local
farmer to take it away and some I put in the corner of the field to
rot.
Many people are happy to take it if we bag it up and take it to them for
free but I have had enough of that silly game
kate

Old 03-09-2003, 09:43 PM
bnd777

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

snip

seems many of them simply do not think to put a sign out or put it in

bags
so those passing can indeed collect as they need ...........i know one

place

That works in some places but if you are in a rural area where many
people have horses it does not work. So I continue to pay the local
farmer to take it away and some I put in the corner of the field to
rot.
Many people are happy to take it if we bag it up and take it to them for
free but I have had enough of that silly game
kate

I can well believe that people will have it if you deliver it

!!!!!!..........only wish i lived near you because then you would not have a
problem

Old 04-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Victoria Clare

Kate Morgan wrote in
:

snip

seems many of them simply do not think to put a sign out or put it in
bags so those passing can indeed collect as they need ...........i
know one place

That works in some places but if you are in a rural area where many
people have horses it does not work.

Or if you just live on a road with very little passing traffic.

Also, if you work during the day, you don't necessarily want to put a sign
outside your house inviting people to come in and help themselves when you
are not there. Not every horse-owner runs a riding stables: even if you
just have a couple of horses the shit piles up with surprising speed.

And a massive steaming heap by the roadside is not always possible.
Surprisingly enough, there are people who don't like to see that sort of
thing (non-gardeners, eh?)

Victoria