Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Trash Fish Make Good Fertilizer

We have a lot of carp in our river here. I guess some people eat them
but they are mostly considered a trash fish and not very good table
fare. These fish in our river can grow to 4 foot long or larger. Many
years ago when I was a young man, I caught a mess of carp and decided to
bury them in my garden as fertilizer. The following year I had a
wonderful vegetable crop and added NO extra fertilizer at all. If you
have a bunch of trash fish in your area, you may want to give this a
try. I just left the fish whole and put them about a foot under the
soil.

Rich from PA

Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVP MAN View Post
We have a lot of carp in our river here. I guess some people eat them
but they are mostly considered a trash fish and not very good table
fare. These fish in our river can grow to 4 foot long or larger. Many
years ago when I was a young man, I caught a mess of carp and decided to
bury them in my garden as fertilizer. The following year I had a
wonderful vegetable crop and added NO extra fertilizer at all. If you
have a bunch of trash fish in your area, you may want to give this a
try. I just left the fish whole and put them about a foot under the
soil.

Rich from PA
Hi EVP Man, What a shame, over here in the UK, carp are much sought after by anglers as a sport fish and a 30lb fish would fetch around $15000 from any fishery owner. Many cultures rate carp very highly as a cullinary delicacy and yes, fishmeal does make a good fertilizer but normally dried and ground down not buried in the ground whole Haaaaaa. Anyway, in Uk it is illegal to remove any fish from rivers and lakes (except maybe trout) !!
Why dont you advertise here in UK for fishing holidys you could make alot of money Haaaaaaaaa
Lannerman
Old 12-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi EVP Man, What a shame, over here in the UK, carp are much sought after by anglers as a sport fish and a 30lb fish would fetch around $15000 from any fishery owner. Many cultures rate carp very highly as a cullinary delicacy and yes, fishmeal does make a good fertilizer but normally dried and ground down not buried in the ground whole Haaaaaa. Anyway, in Uk it is illegal to remove any fish from rivers and lakes (except maybe trout) !!
Why dont you advertise here in UK for fishing holidys you could make alot of money Haaaaaaaaa
Lannerman
Fish emulsion fertilizer stinks to high heaven. I can not imagine what a nightmare working for one of these plants would be. But I'm glad somebody does, because it works really well for a nasty brown mucus. You can do a search on the Internet to find companies that make the stuff, if you're interested in the process.
Pond Kits