Old 30-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Virginia
Default Steppable Mosses?

While browsing the web I found a picture of something I would like to try. The person had taken irish moss and made circles on a path to form 'stepping stones' with white pebbles around the moss circles. I'm in Northern Viginia, zone 5, and have tried to grow irish moss in two places with no success. Is there another 'steppable' moss that would do the same thing? Or would what I'm describing not even be worth the time?
__________________
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener
Old 30-04-2011, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/29/11 7:06 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
While browsing the web I found a picture of something I would like to
try. The person had taken irish moss and made circles on a path to form
'stepping stones' with white pebbles around the moss circles. I'm in
Northern Viginia, zone 5, and have tried to grow irish moss in two
places with no success. Is there another 'steppable' moss that would do
the same thing? Or would what I'm describing not even be worth the time?

Irish moss is not really a moss. It's a flowering plant, Sagina
subulata. While it will take some foot traffic, it really will not take
the constant traffic of a frequently used path. Actually, it will do
better between stepping stones than as something on which to step.

Irish moss requires conditions quite different from true moss. It
requires good soil, good drainage, and full or part sun.

Very similar to Sagina subulata in both appearance and culture is
Aremaria verna, which is also called Irish moss. Both are sometimes
called Scotch moss. Both are hardy to around 5F but will also thrive in
mild-winter climates; however, neither will survive the heat and low
humidity of a desert.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

Irish moss is not really a moss. It's a flowering plant, Sagina
subulata. While it will take some foot traffic, it really will not take
the constant traffic of a frequently used path. Actually, it will do
better between stepping stones than as something on which to step.

Irish moss requires conditions quite different from true moss. It
requires good soil, good drainage, and full or part sun.

Very similar to Sagina subulata in both appearance and culture is
Aremaria verna, which is also called Irish moss. Both are sometimes
called Scotch moss. Both are hardy to around 5F but will also thrive in
mild-winter climates; however, neither will survive the heat and low
humidity of a desert.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current[/quote]

Any sugestions of something that would work for what I described?
__________________
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Any sugestions of something that would work for what I described?

The only non-grass ground cover that I think will take some foot traffic
is dichondra. D. micrantha (aka D. repens) is hardy to about 20F, but
walking on it in freezing weather will leave dead footprints.

When replying please either top-post or else remove my signature and the
"dash-dash-space" delimiter above my signature.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

potting in mosses other than sphagnum Leo Orchids 0 04-06-2004 11:03 AM
Mosses James Gardening 11 06-02-2004 06:12 AM
Mosses: Utah and the West Ann Herbert Plant Science 0 16-09-2003 02:32 PM
Mosses: Utah and the West Ann Herbert Plant Biology 0 16-09-2003 02:32 PM
Mosses Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 02-08-2003 07:03 PM